Starting your own Photography company.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Snowmobiler, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey there, just wondering how one would go about starting his own photography company.. I have no idea where to even start. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Juice

Juice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should start by searching the topic, since you can't honestly think you're the first person to ask this. ;)

3. altair005

altair005 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    my boyfriend has been wanting to start a landscape photog biz. he reads reads reads, searches a gazillion professional websites, we visit galleries, talk to photographers in the galleries, peruse photography tents on the river street...

basically, you have to start with research.

4. caveman

caveman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What kind of photography business will it be?

5. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The best place to start with photography business is to start with knowing how to conduct business in the first place. Honestly most of what you need to know isn't on the photography side (at first, as long as you can take solid pictures).

I suggest searching for some business books with photographers in mind, there are many very outstanding books. Honestly I haven't looked up one for photography (prefer just plain business myself) so I can't help you there

6. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are lots of people with superb photo skills who would not dream of becoming pros.

7. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thats easy! All you do is buy a digital camera and start a flicker.....BAMMM Insta-Pro. lol easy as that.

popcorn anyone?

8. flyingember

flyingember TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the first place to start is with how to start a business in general in your area

research licensing, taxes, zoning, laws and the like. look into travel costs, equipment costs, computer costs, etc.

flip the words. you're starting a business in photography. look at what it takes to start a business. then extend it to how you would do business by selling photos

9. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just because you want to be a 'serious' photographer, that doesn't mean you need to 'go pro'.

Now that digital cameras and printers have become much less expensive, and photography is much more convenient than formerly, everyone thinks he can become a 'pro'. The already crowded field does not need new entrants.

That said, if you really want to 'go pro', it would behoove you to study and work with a true 'pro' for several years, perhaps as a studio assistant; otherwise you won't have any credibility whatsoever as a 'pro'. I worked in the commercial field for a couple of years. From this I determined that I wanted nothing to do with 'pro' work ever again.

:meh:

If you think there is a huge market for landscape photos, be aware that everyone else who bought a digital Rebel within the last year thinks so too...so who is going to buy your photos?

:lmao:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A photography company to do........what?

And as suggested, a photography business is way more about business, than it's about photography.

There are 3 main types that sell photographs and/or photographic services:
    1. Retail
    2. Commercial
    3. Editorial
    Then there are photography companies that make their money by selling "How to". In other words they are companies that teach photographic technique. Some do that by traveling from city-to-city conducting seminars. Some have the customer come to them. I have a friend that does his seminars on cruise ships.

Then there is Stock Photography. You take the pictures and some other company advertises and markets their availablity. They usually have images from thousands of other photographers so until/if you rise to the top of their sales figures they don't feature your stuff promenently.
    There are 2 kinds of stock RF and RM. RF pays pennies for each sale of one of your photos, so to make any money that way you need to have several hundred photos accepted every month. RM pays better, but there are fewer buyers.

Time magazine recently used a RF stock image for their cover. As I understand it the photographer got a check for $2.73, and it was only that big because of the number of magazines Time prints. Other wise his cut would have been $0.35.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  11. IceEateer

IceEateer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're thinking about a company company like an LLC or Corporation, then you'd have to pay the $$ to an attorney to help you out.

Most people do their taxes, etc. as a sole proprietor.

That's just the business end.

You still have to take and sell pictures that people are willing to pay for.

12. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You first have to be a 'pro' before starting your business. That means working as an assistant and learning the ropes first.