Stary Stary Night

uberben

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.benberndtphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried a different way of doing these kind of photos. This time I took 4 photos all close to the same exposure to get rid of the cruddy noise my 300d's sensor was kicking out on exposures over 30 minutes. I then overlayed them in PS and tweaked the levels to bring out the contrast. Not all that happy with the small gaps in the trails from different exposures when I was slow on one of them and the coloring is off on the trials as well. Thats more of a post processing error then the cameras fault. Better luck next time around. Shot with a tokina 12-24 at the wide end on a 300d body. I ended up cropping a lot of the bottom since I didn't have the camera aimed where I wanted.....Next time i'll bring a stronger flashlight.:D I just got a new 20d two weeks ago and i'm heading up north again next weekend to do some star trails with the better camera.

I think the exif is something like
Focal length: 12.0mm
Exposure time: 3375
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO equiv.: 100

starynight.jpg

This one is from awhile ago. Just your standard northstar rotation.
Focal length: 28.0mm
Exposure time: 746.000 s
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 100
stars1.jpg

very cool. You osviously have lots of patience to wait for those exposures.

good idea using multiple exposures to cut down on the noise. i have pretty much given up on long exposures like this with my 20D, just too much noise. These turned out pretty good though, can't wait to see the next ones... :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments. I think I spend more time taking photos at night then during the day now that the early winter nights are on the doorstep.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWWWWW WOW

that 1st shot is one of the best star trails I've ever seen

Thats absolutely amazing work. It inspires me to go out and try the same thing. If i do I will post. Jaw dropping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great attempts! I can't wait to see the shots from the 20D.

That first pic is great, despite the issues you seem to have with it. Is that a shooting star I see making a line between the trees?

I keep one film SLR in my artillery, not only as a back up for if my DSLR goes down, but for any long exposures I want to try.

Keep up the good work.

I am pretty sure that is a shooting star between the trees....I do have fully mechanical Film SLR from the 60's that I use to shoot really long exposures (5+hrs) but I am still getting the hang of that and need to scan in some of the really good ones.

Thanks for the positive comments though. I can't wait to get out this weekend and set up a couple camera's for more stars. Lets hope for a clear night OR a really creepy october sky like this one from last year

CRW_5659.jpg

Wow! that is an amazing image.

That streak in the first image looks like it is probably a satellite.

Awesome & breath taking!! I can't make up mind as to which is my favorite. I'll have to try taking pictures like this when time permits. Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back