State of the art war photography of the 40's

bluez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that some of the legendary photographers of ww2 used 35mm leicas. Some of the older more unknown photographs from ww2 (Europe) looks very good with low grain. I suspect than many of this was taken with high end 6x9 roll film cameras like zeiss, but a frind of mine insist that some of the leica/35mm was very good with the proper film. Or did they use 4x5. Was Agfapan 25 available back then? What do you think?

Last edited:
Robert Capa used a 35mm on D-Day, Joe Rosenthal used a crown graphic (I think it was a 4x5 version). I'm sure many sizes were used. Size was probably chosen based off the the situation and photographers preference.

The combat 4x5 Graphic was very popular. Uncle Sam even provided them in Olive drab because everyone knows your press camera should match your helmet.

Last edited:
Robert Capa used a 35mm on D-Day, Joe Rosenthal used a crown graphic (I think it was a 4x5 version). I'm sure many sizes were used. Size was probably chosen based off the the situation and photographers preference.

Using a 4x5 in the field is impressive. But let me give you an example. would a 35mm or 6x6 be able to take a picture of this quality ?

https://portraitsofwar.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/222nd051.jpg

I don't see any problem with a good 35mm being able to take that. In fact, it's easier to get the necessary depth of field, and while it's a perfectly nice photo it doesn't strike me as insanely sharp.

Actually it was a Speed Graphic. No real difference, they're both 4x5, the Crown could use wider lenses down to 65mm, while the Speed/Super could only go to 80-90. The Speed is heavier than the Crown.

Actually it was a Speed Graphic. No real difference, they're both 4x5, the Crown could use wider lenses down to 65mm, while the Speed/Super could only go to 80-90. The Speed is heavier than the Crown.

Your right it was a speed graphic. I always get the two mixed up. Although I have not seen anywhere that says he definitely had the 4x5 version. The speed graphic was also made in 2¼ x 3¼ in 3¼ x 4¼ in in addition to the 4x5 version and even a 5x7 version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back