Statue and flower... I am really proud of this one. C&C Please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BTilson, Aug 31, 2008.

1. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Another that I took today. This is a statue at my grandmothers house. I got the flower in the foreground in focus on purpose with the blurred statue background, and I think it worked out VERY nicely. Since I have (re) found my interest in photography, this is probably my favorite photo so far. C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:
    (Just as a thought, I recommend refraining from saying such things as: "My favorite photo" or "My best work" etc, as makes some people a little reticent to provide C&C for fear of causing offense. I have no such fear however)
    Overall, not a bad image. A couple of thoughts: I think the crop coule have been opened up a little to include the top of the statue's head and the rest of the right-hand most flower, and a selective saturation boost of the flowers themselves wouldn't hurt. The lighting isn't bad, but not ideal; either a reflector or small fill light lower image right would have helped as well.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

3. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is a good point about saying best/favorite/etc. Didn't consider that. I'll refrain from that from now on. I definitely want honest critique, be it good or bad. I am here to learn and grow and become a better photographer.

When you mention a reflector or fill light, do you mean lighting the other side of the statue?

Thanks John.

4. DChesler

DChesler TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the subtle tones of the statue, almost like a sepia effect without one.

I wonder how this would look as a vertical frame rather than a horizontal one?

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, but illuminating rather than lighting; that is: Placing a reflector low down and to image right aimed in such a way that it gave a bit more illumination to the RH side of the image. All your light is coming in from image left, and there are some very hard shadows and dark areas. on the right side; not showstoppers, but these are sorts of subtle things that can make the difference between a nice image and an award winner.

6. dl4449

dl4449 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also like the colors and wonder what it would look like in black& white. I also agree with John about the crop.
    Troy

7. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will have to give that a shot next time I go over there for a visit. I will also snap some in a vertical orientation instead of horizontal and see how that works out.

Thanks a lot!

<edit>

I actually tried it in black and white to begin with, but I think it lost some of it's appeal when it was gray scale.

8. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    As it was pointed out, the flowers might look better if they all in the frame, but, other than that, they are razor sharp -- excellent!

9. KhronoS

KhronoS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the photo. good job :D