Steals and Deals. Canons v. Nikons

examples?

Word on the street is Pentax K20D bodies can be had for around $700. Weather sealing, in-body image stabilization, killer build quality, 14.6 megapixel sensor, and lenses like the DA* f/2.8 50-135 for $700 make this a "killer deal." Canon and Nikon make some excellent cameras, but if you are looking purely for value, you are often better off looking elsewhere. I think a K20D would outdo an XSi on many fronts, and it's aimed squarely at the D90 with a $100 smaller price tag. Higher resolution, IS with all lenses (I love having this on my 50mm lenses from the 70s), the weather sealing, and an extra stop of sensitivity. I have never really researched a head-to-head comparison, but both are known to be excellent cameras. One just costs a little more. . .

Oh, and the K20D won't do video. If you don't think that's a gimmick, I guess it might factor into your decision.

Aren't the D90 and the XSi a different level of camera? Maybe someone needs to explain what the teirs are for Nikon. I know that the Rebel line is your basic consumer camera where as the 40D and 50D are your Prosumer and the 1D and 5D's are your professional cameras.

I'm a bit confused as I know the D40 is comparable to the rebel line. D300 and D700 are what? Pro line?

-JD-

Word on the street is Pentax K20D bodies can be had for around $700. Weather sealing, in-body image stabilization, killer build quality, 14.6 megapixel sensor, and lenses like the DA* f/2.8 50-135 for $700 make this a "killer deal." Canon and Nikon make some excellent cameras, but if you are looking purely for value, you are often better off looking elsewhere. I think a K20D would outdo an XSi on many fronts, and it's aimed squarely at the D90 with a $100 smaller price tag. Higher resolution, IS with all lenses (I love having this on my 50mm lenses from the 70s), the weather sealing, and an extra stop of sensitivity. I have never really researched a head-to-head comparison, but both are known to be excellent cameras. One just costs a little more. . .

Oh, and the K20D won't do video. If you don't think that's a gimmick, I guess it might factor into your decision.

Thanks.

I'll make a note of that. I'll head down and look at the K20D today at lunch. I'm not into video on a high end camera. I feel that its not needed. If I want to do video in high quality, i'll buy an HD video camera. So I do think videos on these level of cameras are gimmicks.

Aren't the D90 and the XSi a different level of camera?

yes... this is what i was trying to hint at in my reply

So I do think videos on these level of cameras are gimmicks.

yes and no.. I've seen some pretty amazing videos shot with the d90 (chase jarvis did some cool stuff in his advanced testing [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQX1rC-fRA[/ame] )

Not correct. Nikon is its own company. The groups under the "Mitsubishi" umbrella are what remains of Mitsubishi post-WWII. These companies are wholly independent. If Nikon falls, Nikon falls on its own.

If these companies were smart they would all merge so that the government would bail them out if they fail. ;)

Everyone is talking just about camera bodies here. Buying the body is only the tip of the iceberg. You need to look a lenses (available models, prices, retail availability, quality), and also accessories (flashes and wireless TTL systems, etc).

The Sony camera looks great on paper, but what about lens selection, pricing, and being able to find these lenses at your local store?

another question...

does anyone here prefer Canons to Nikons? if so, why?

I'm seriously at looking at getting a Canon instead of a Nikon.

Why wouldn't you? They are pretty much equal quality wise, and have been for a long time. Get what you feel has the best feature set and feel for the price point you're looking at. Both brands have a huge selection of gear options and upgrade paths, there's a reason that between them they have the lion's share of SLR related sales.

Aren't the D90 and the XSi a different level of camera? Maybe someone needs to explain what the teirs are for Nikon. I know that the Rebel line is your basic consumer camera where as the 40D and 50D are your Prosumer and the 1D and 5D's are your professional cameras.

I'm a bit confused as I know the D40 is comparable to the rebel line. D300 and D700 are what? Pro line?

-JD-
Probably advanced amateur as were the FA, FE-2, FM2n.

Why wouldn't you? They are pretty much equal quality wise, and have been for a long time. Get what you feel has the best feature set and feel for the price point you're looking at. Both brands have a huge selection of gear options and upgrade paths, there's a reason that between them they have the lion's share of SLR related sales.
this is what i've been reading, so i'm not going to feel like i'm being cheated if i go with a canon because of price.

i played with one last night..and the AF on a Canon is amazing compared to the Nikon.

there are fanboys on either side..there are pros and cons to either side as well..but i wouldnt put the xsi and the d90 in the same category

Odd... while the consensus here is that Canon are cheaper, in the UK Nikon are definitely the cheaper option at entry-level (D40 and D60).

Personally I would choose a Nikon over a Canon for many reasons to do with cameras, lens and flash systems, and my personal experiences of each company. But that is just me (and in fact I currently use and prefer another brand). Ultimately it's you who will have to use the camera and buy into the system, and it sounds like you've pretty much made your decision - I say trust your own judgement over that of us fanboys or the magazine writers or shop assistants with an agenda to push one brand or another... go for it; the sooner you do, the sooner you can start taking photos :D

Most reactions

Back