Steam Engine - SP&S #700

Mike Jordan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sitnprettyphoto.com
Last Christmas, Portland brought out their Spokan, Portland & Seattle #700 steam engine. This is a 1935 era steam engine that has been restored by the steam enthusist of Portland, Oregon. They only bring it out a few times each year, not so much because they are trying to keep it nice and shiny (which it sure was) but because the rail lines are owned by other railroads and they haul a lot of fraight. So it's hard to find time to squeeze in the #700 since it makes a lot of stops for photo oppurtunities.

Here it is stopped at the Portland train station for about an hour, where I was able to get a number of pictures. We arrived right as it was pulling into the station and I was afraid it wasn't going to stay very long, so I rushed to the station from the parking lot and didn't grab my tripod. I kept thinking about going back and getting it, but I didn't know when it was going to pull out and didn't want to be gone. So I did all of these free hand. For some I wish I had gotten my tripod as this was a dark and dreary day, made even darker by the roofs of the train station. But I did manage to get a few good ones.

You don't realize how big these engines are until you stand right next to them. So I did some multi shots as well. This image is a 3 image shot stitched together.

trainpano4131.jpg

This shot is a single shot of the engine:

train4178small.jpg

And this is a 7 shot image taken down the length of the train from the front. I knew this was going to cause distortion, so I decided to exaggerate it a bit by starting at the very front and going backwards. This is what gives the curved look to the front of the engine. I thought it was kind of neat. The full size version is even better.

trainpano4118small.jpg

All were taken with my 10D and 24-70 2.8L lens.

Mike

The ultimate toy. ;)

I really like the photos, all three. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back