Steam Locomotive

Mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.themotec.com
Hi,
This is a picture of one of my model locomotives. What do you think?

BR86BES.jpg

It looks better and sharper in full pixels, though (6MP)
Edit: Just uploaded a 900 pixel version, and looks sharper.

Not sure what you were going for: real train or model. It looks like a model. neat comp, though. Did you try a CP to take out some of the shine of the train and the gravel under the tracks? Or just get it dirty. May have sold me on the realism (even without steam) with just a little bit less shine. The shadows in the shrubs bottom right, the DOF blurring the background, nice exposure. If you intended it to look like a model, disregard everything I said, and add in " nice job"

The shine really isn't a problem for me as much as the uneven lighting. The top has tons of detail but then fades as your eyes goes into the underbelly. I dig the rich blacks of the image but the bottom left and front of the locomotive lose its grandeur. The other thing that to me is a personal feeling is the sense motion, or lack there of. Just sitting there to me robs this fantastic model of its entertaining value.

Personally I like the shine of the gravel and tracks. I think it adds some contrast to the overall black centerpiece.

With that all said I think it should be pointed out that I think that the actual comp is overall great, and I personally would love to see more pics in the future of yr basement railroad.

if i were you i would play around with different angles, and lighting/shadows... try and make it appear large rather than just a small toy.... but of course that's just me! :)

You need wide angle and shoot it up close...

How about you set the train in motion and pan it?

Ok, I'll try replying to all your posts in one.

First, I can't capture the train moving unless I take it on the operational track. This pic was taken in a small area of landscape made especially for photography. It is sepatare from the normal track.

I will take pics at different angles/lightings/DOf's when it is day; I took this picture at night with a 2.5 second exposure.

:D Thanks for all the feedback!

P.S the picture may look darker than it really is on certain screens.
I have a Sony VAIO 12 inch laptop hooked up to a 15 inch LCD on my desk. The front of the locomotive looks dark on the bigger, brighter 15 inch screen, but it has perfect lighting when viewed on the laptop's screen.

not too dark for me :) i like the contrast between the dark train and the lighter landscape... the tones show up fine on my 18" LCD monitor

Most reactions

Back