Steam train passed by yesterday

Paul
Great job making this look vintage. I am not fond of the sky texture, but the rest is really good.
What a vantage point you had. How did you know the timing?

Paul
Great job making this look vintage. I am not fond of the sky texture, but the rest is really good.
What a vantage point you had. How did you know the timing?

Honestly, I was surrounded by what I'd call 'train fanatics' who were so excited about this thing coming through you'd think they were throwing money from the caboose. I'll be honest, I was super impressed... to the point of goosebumps. Not only did the train shake the ground I was standing on, it also covered us in soot. It was pretty awesome.. There were other photographers there, some real photographers who were trying to make a buck, so we kinda formed a line.

I'll go back to the color and b&w versions and resize them for the web (with no texture) for those who are iffy on the editing.

Thanks again, cool to get a positive response. :D

EDIT: Actually... these are from the first pass. The train was slowing to let people off (you pay to ride, someday I'll have to try that). It then got pulled back by a diesel/electric engine that it had in tow and did a full power fly-by, backed up again and picked everyone back up.

Here's the black and white conversion:
smtrain1bw.jpg

Here's the full color:
smtrain1.jpg

I wish I got some other good pics... but I didn't lol.

Last edited:
Some of those old steam engines have quite the following, especially when restored and still making runs so they can be seen by people. They really are very cool and impressive. My Grandfather and my Dad used to be into model trains, and consequently knew a lot of the history and such. I've seen many old steam engines with my Dad growing up and stuff.

Example: I remember going to see one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy when I was younger with my Dad. Absolutely MASSIVE. I think we put some coins on the track beforehand to have the engine smash them -- I'm sure those smashed coins by all these particular engines are still around somewhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back