Step Forward or Step Back?

Joeee89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys this is my first post and i am italian, so sorry for my terrible english.

I have a D3100 with a 18/55vr (lens in the bundle with the DSLR) and a 55/200vr f4/5.6.

I had this set for about 4 years and now it's seems the time to change the camera. But here comes the troubles. I am really unhappy with my 18-55 for the quality of the images, they arent crispy as i want. I said it's time to change because i think my camera needs some other feature that can improve my shooting life, like the two different control for aperture and exposure, a comfortable camera, more MPX, maybe a secondary display on the top. Something like a mid/pro DSLR not a middle like a D5500. I dont know exactly it's kinda a feeling when i see the photo i take, that it could be so much better.

I dont know if:
  1. Buy a Mirrorless Camera like the Olympus OMD-E10 (410€) with some lenses (200€) and sell all of my stuff and lenses for about 400€ ;
  2. Buy a more expensive DSLR camera, but not a Entry or Middle Level, something like a semi-pro camera (e.g D7100) .
I want to buy an Olympus because i dont want to spend a lot of money in Nikon Lenses and The Olympus one seems like are more affordable and with less money i can get more fun from my lenses. Also the dimension isnt a great pros to me, yeah i like to carry wherever i like my camera but it isnt so necessary.

I travel a lot, and i go in a lot of cities, i like to take photos of the city, of the people, some panoramas, portrait of my girlfriend, shoot at the nature, landscapes, buildings, some architecture, once or twice in a year some Soccer/volleyball Match, i like to take photos of a lot if things.

I dont do so much night shooting because of my bad lenses and the really low times, and things get a little bit shaky. I use rarely a tripod because i travel very light, and i use a lot of the stabilization, i rely on high ISO settings when there isnt light, and sometimes my photo get really grany because of it. Also i would really love to make great long exposure shoot.

Can you guys advice me on a DSLR not so expensive (maybe with a good kit) that fit my needs? I'm on a tight budget, like 700/800€.

Thank you guys for your attention!

lens is more important than the camera body in my opinion.

for crisper images and better bokeh, you need a better lens. Get a 150 dollar prime 50mm f1.8. Get sharper images with better bokeh.

Improve your lenses and add accessories. For 800 you could bag a 35mm f1.8 or 50mm and a sigma 17-50mm os a small but sturdy light tripod and a third party flashlight.

You like to travel light but there are small tripods that will fit in your pocket, they add to your arsenal at minimum penalty with weight. The d3100 is light so small tripods are ideal. Look at yongnuo yn 565 flash units. Your camera is fine

OP, from what I read from review sites, the Nikon kit lens is not bad at all as far as optical performance goes (especially factor the cost). The Center performance is good from f/5.6 - f/8 through out the focal range.

I wonder if your issue is something else.

However, if you are looking for standard zoom lens replacement at a lower cost, the Tamron and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 lenses are not bad.

From the first post I'm thinking the OP shoots a lot in low light. The kit lens is indeed very good but f5.6 will always limit at lower light regardless of glass quality.

Buon giorno. No need to apologize for your English - you write it better than most of us can write anything other than English.

It seems you have two contradictory needs: (1) portability for travel, which would argue for mirrorless, and (2) the need for good high ISO quality, which would argue for full-frame DSLR (less portable). You should do a lot of research and understand all of the compromises that any choice entails. Only you can decide on the compromise choice that is best for you. I do a lot of my shooting by walking around the city, where it is not practical to use a tripod, and I also like wandering down narrow alleys on overcast days, so the light is not very good. I use a compact APS-C DSLR and image-stabilized lenses and find that works for me in terms of portability and quality, but again, you need to arrive at your own compromise.

The D7100 has the two control wheels.
Add a 35mm, 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 prime lens to have at least one fast lens to play with. The first two are very cheap. I use the 35mm all the time as a walk around/travel lens.

Hi Guys this is my first post and i am italian, so sorry for my terrible english.

I have a D3100 with a 18/55vr (lens in the bundle with the DSLR) and a 55/200vr f4/5.6.

I had this set for about 4 years and now it's seems the time to change the camera. But here comes the troubles. I am really unhappy with my 18-55 for the quality of the images, they arent crispy as i want. I said it's time to change because i think my camera needs some other feature that can improve my shooting life, like the two different control for aperture and exposure, a comfortable camera, more MPX, maybe a secondary display on the top. Something like a mid/pro DSLR not a middle like a D5500. I dont know exactly it's kinda a feeling when i see the photo i take, that it could be so much better.

I dont know if:
  1. Buy a Mirrorless Camera like the Olympus OMD-E10 (410€) with some lenses (200€) and sell all of my stuff and lenses for about 400€ ;
  2. Buy a more expensive DSLR camera, but not a Entry or Middle Level, something like a semi-pro camera (e.g D7100) .
I want to buy an Olympus because i dont want to spend a lot of money in Nikon Lenses and The Olympus one seems like are more affordable and with less money i can get more fun from my lenses. Also the dimension isnt a great pros to me, yeah i like to carry wherever i like my camera but it isnt so necessary.

I travel a lot, and i go in a lot of cities, i like to take photos of the city, of the people, some panoramas, portrait of my girlfriend, shoot at the nature, landscapes, buildings, some architecture, once or twice in a year some Soccer/volleyball Match, i like to take photos of a lot if things.

I dont do so much night shooting because of my bad lenses and the really low times, and things get a little bit shaky. I use rarely a tripod because i travel very light, and i use a lot of the stabilization, i rely on high ISO settings when there isnt light, and sometimes my photo get really grany because of it. Also i would really love to make great long exposure shoot.

Can you guys advice me on a DSLR not so expensive (maybe with a good kit) that fit my needs? I'm on a tight budget, like 700/800€.

Thank you guys for your attention!
Welcome! I think you've come to the right place. I've learned a lot from the people on this site.

examples of images with the 18-55 VR, that aren't "crisp" enough, please.

Most reactions

Back