step up, down or lateral? (body change)

mxracer32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.easterndirt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i currently have a canon 20d, but this new rebel tsi sure has caught my eye. the ability to do HD video with a dslr is a cool feature. my 20d does me fine, but ive been looking around for an HD video camera as well and started thinking, would it be a step up, down, or lateral move if i sold the 20d and went for the new Tsi? double the MP (i think mines around 8, and the tsi is 15.1) not sure about FPS or iso settings as im having a hard time finding exact specs on it. that led me to ask here...thoughts?

I don't think that these video-capable DSLR cameras are really a substitute for actual video cameras just yet. I think it's mostly a sales feature at the moment.

The newer Rebel bodies do have plenty of improvements. They have always had the same sensors as the XXD series, so image quality has been pretty close between the two lines. So by that logic, the TSi may be quite a bit better than the 20D, simply because it's several years newer.

The main difference is in the size, layout and construction of the body. Personally, after using a 20D, I'd have a hard time using any of the Rebels.

.......not sure about FPS or iso settings as im having a hard time finding exact specs on it. that led me to ask here...thoughts?

Amazing....

www.canonusa.com , click on 'cameras' , click on 'EOS (SLR) CAMERA SYSTEMS' , click on T1i , click on the 'Specifications' tab.

Or B&H Photo Video and click on the 'Specifications' tab.

thanks big mike and hey its scotty.

KmH, i was looking under Tsi, not T1i, that was why i couldnt find any specs on it.

If you plan to shoot sports, I'd say it's a step down. Unless you plan to use the video a lot, I wouldn't bother. You're not really limited in MP with the 20D, it is faster in FPS, and it's easier to use IMO.

I don't think that these video-capable DSLR cameras are really a substitute for actual video cameras just yet. I think it's mostly a sales feature at the moment.

The newer Rebel bodies do have plenty of improvements. They have always had the same sensors as the XXD series, so image quality has been pretty close between the two lines. So by that logic, the TSi may be quite a bit better than the 20D, simply because it's several years newer.

The main difference is in the size, layout and construction of the body. Personally, after using a 20D, I'd have a hard time using any of the Rebels.

I agree with Mike here, I think the rebel bodies are harder to use after using something like the 20D or 30D like I have. I personally woudlnt trade my 30D for the T1i, for a number of reasons. FPS being one of them and weather sealing being another. the EOS series is a semi pro/intermediate camera if that makes sense. However the 20D is a few years old now...

Big Mike what camera do you use anyways?

I personally woudlnt trade my 30D for the T1i, for a number of reasons. FPS being one of them and weather sealing being another.
The 30D doesn't have weather sealing. :scratch: The 40D & 50D have some, but not nearly as much as the 1 series bodies.

Big Mike what camera do you use anyways?
I'm still using a couple of 20Ds.

I have the 40D, and to say it has weather sealing is a bit of a joke lol it has rubber sealings around the battery/memory card compartments, and i believe a little around the hot shoe. I still wouldn't be comfortable getting it out in the rain.

huh your right the 30D doesnt have it... now I am on a hurt to find where I read that it did!

I don't know about you guys, but since I moved fomr the Rebel series to the 40D, I could never go back. When I hold a rebel now, I feel lost. The controls on the 40D are much nicer and it just feels better to me.

I personally woudlnt trade my 30D for the T1i, for a number of reasons. FPS being one of them and weather sealing being another. the EOS series is a semi pro/intermediate camera if that makes sense. However the 20D is a few years old now...

All the Canon bodies from over the last few years are EOS, including the Rebels.

To O.P., I could never see myself going back to a Rebel body. The user interface is rediculous.

FPS being one of them and weather sealing being another. the EOS series is a semi pro/intermediate camera if that makes sense
As just said, the 20D and 30D and 40D and 50D etc don't have weather sealing, and all Canon SLRs that have the EOS mount are EOS cameras.

The 'Rebel' series, as called in the US, or xxxD series in other places, would be a step down. One of the major things is that the xxD range have a much better build. Metal, not plastic.

Maybe look and save up for the 5D Mark II - full HD filming (30fps @ 1080p, not just 20fps which is the current max rate for the 500D at 1080p).

Most reactions

Back