step up, down or lateral? (body change)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mxracer32, Jul 8, 2009.

1. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i currently have a canon 20d, but this new rebel tsi sure has caught my eye. the ability to do HD video with a dslr is a cool feature. my 20d does me fine, but ive been looking around for an HD video camera as well and started thinking, would it be a step up, down, or lateral move if i sold the 20d and went for the new Tsi? double the MP (i think mines around 8, and the tsi is 15.1) not sure about FPS or iso settings as im having a hard time finding exact specs on it. that led me to ask here...thoughts?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think that these video-capable DSLR cameras are really a substitute for actual video cameras just yet. I think it's mostly a sales feature at the moment.

The newer Rebel bodies do have plenty of improvements. They have always had the same sensors as the XXD series, so image quality has been pretty close between the two lines. So by that logic, the TSi may be quite a bit better than the 20D, simply because it's several years newer.

The main difference is in the size, layout and construction of the body. Personally, after using a 20D, I'd have a hard time using any of the Rebels.

3. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Amazing....

www.canonusa.com , click on 'cameras' , click on 'EOS (SLR) CAMERA SYSTEMS' , click on T1i , click on the 'Specifications' tab.

Or B&H Photo Video and click on the 'Specifications' tab.

5. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks big mike and hey its scotty.

KmH, i was looking under Tsi, not T1i, that was why i couldnt find any specs on it.

6. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

If you plan to shoot sports, I'd say it's a step down. Unless you plan to use the video a lot, I wouldn't bother. You're not really limited in MP with the 20D, it is faster in FPS, and it's easier to use IMO.

7. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I agree with Mike here, I think the rebel bodies are harder to use after using something like the 20D or 30D like I have. I personally woudlnt trade my 30D for the T1i, for a number of reasons. FPS being one of them and weather sealing being another. the EOS series is a semi pro/intermediate camera if that makes sense. However the 20D is a few years old now...

Big Mike what camera do you use anyways?

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 30D doesn't have weather sealing. :scratch: The 40D & 50D have some, but not nearly as much as the 1 series bodies.

I'm still using a couple of 20Ds.

9. JamieR

JamieR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the 40D, and to say it has weather sealing is a bit of a joke lol it has rubber sealings around the battery/memory card compartments, and i believe a little around the hot shoe. I still wouldn't be comfortable getting it out in the rain.

10. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    huh your right the 30D doesnt have it... now I am on a hurt to find where I read that it did!

11. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about you guys, but since I moved fomr the Rebel series to the 40D, I could never go back. When I hold a rebel now, I feel lost. The controls on the 40D are much nicer and it just feels better to me.

12. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

All the Canon bodies from over the last few years are EOS, including the Rebels.

To O.P., I could never see myself going back to a Rebel body. The user interface is rediculous.