Stepping away from normalcy...And back again. (C&C)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Bitter Jeweler, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Stormy
    [​IMG]

Forest Fire
    [​IMG]

The Dancers
    [​IMG]

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, very nice. I love your abstract work...

...I can't figure out what #1 is..., and I must know, lol.

3. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool stuff man.

4. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love the last 2 very nice stuff. # 2 tould make a great photoshop texture.
    I am not so hot on number one, I undertand what you are going for nut it just looks like spray painted paper pull tabs off the frozed pizza box.

But I do like the 2nd and 3rd ones. They are nice and clean and draw you in.

5. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very nice. I really like both #1 and 2. Nice composition, nice tones, etc.

#3 is also quite nice but I would like it better if the background was solid white.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    #1 looks like a variety of cactus. Nicely subtle.

#2 is interesting but the blurred foreground feels confusing. For me anyway.

#3 is my fave, but with the simple background I wish the left facing flower and the stem were in focus and the one broad leaf at the bottom was not in the image.

Good work. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  7. SuperMom30

SuperMom30 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #3 is beautiful I just love it :sexywink: I think the rest are great too!

8. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

O||||||O, #1 is indeed a cactus, or agave, or yucca family.

I am pretty pleased that I am learning to see these shots "full frame", rather than small crops from big pictures.

Is anyone bothered by the hugely oversaturated purple in the thorns?

c.cloudwalker, (#3) I will see what all white does for me. I liked the subtle gradient myself. My reasoning: It mimics the gradient in the petals of the flower. KmH, at F/11 I thought I had more DoF. I had taken a couple with smaller apertures, but with the slight breeze through the greenhouse, they are blurry. Aw, I thought the little green leaf at the bottom added that little something extra.

KmH, on #2, I was tempted to crop the image even higher, at the lower third of this image, creating a sort of Pano image. I felt for the abstract quality I was going for, the focus is the "fire", and felt the blurred foreground to be "natural".

SuperMom30, glad you like them. Do you disagree with the critiques above you?

9. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To each his own. Which is why I said "I would like it..." rather than "It would be much better." :lol:

On the other hand, I agree with you a 100% on the leaf. It does add that little extra something without which this image would not be half as interesting. But again, this is just a personal opinion.

10. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am glad to read this about learning not to crop. There is, imho, way too much cropping going on here. With film, cropping means an enlargement of the grain and therefore a loss in quality. So I learned early on to do all my cropping in camera. It seems it is the same problem in digital except we are talking about pixels.

As I said in another thread, it is not always possible to crop in camera. Especially with things like photo-journalism and sports but you still should be as close to the crop you want as possible.

If you crop half of the image out, it means you don't know what you're doing. Or, at least, you don't know where you're going with that specific image. Which, to me, is about the same. Along with the basics of composition, this is part of my Photo 101 class.

And, please, don't anybody get upset by what I'm saying. This forum is a learning forum even if there are some pretty advanced photogs here and, we all started not knowing a darn thing about anything. Some people have an eye and it comes to them more easily but none of us who are any good at this have learned without a teacher/mentor. And for most of us it does not happen overnight. So get over it. Go out there, shoot, have it critiqued and learn. And once you've learned the rules, you can break them all. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry about the lesson everyone. I'm a teacher....

The saturated purple does not bother me the least bit. It works fine so that it is really nothing more than a question of personal likes and dislikes.

The only thing that bothers me about that image is the triangle in the lower left corner. Not enough to have mentioned it originally, you'll notice. It looks to me as if it is background instead of another cactus leave.

11. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks again c.cloudwalker.
    I understand a lot of critiqueing is a matter of opinion. I like to at least explain my thought processes as to why I choose to do "x". It generates valuable feedback to think about in future work. Many suggestions make me go back to editing, to at least see how it looks a different way. This is invaluable.

i have learned a lot from books, and a lot from here. Thats why I keep coming back!

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For comparison purposes: just cloned
    [​IMG]