Steps when taking pictures

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is your order when taking a picture ? Kind of what is your workflow on the field ?

Composition
White balance
Metering
Focus
Aperture
Shutter speed
Iso
etc...

What is or are your specific order when taking one or more pictures ?

Thanks for your input !

I'm a newbie but for me it varies every time I think, especially on different subjects. Since I am new to this and don't have anything in particular I photograph, most of my shots come from my noon hour photo walks and driving around.

Typically I'll walk or drive until I find something of interest (or just something out of boredom, I need to exit that habit). Once I find something I'll walk around and try to find an angle that is most appealing if I can, wildlife doesn't always offer this luxury.

Next I'll compose and move around more if I have to, but more often than not I'll have a zoom lens on. Once I feel the shot is what I pictured I focus and lock exposure, set my aperture (or shutter speed) accordingly and fire away. My ISO is almost always at the 200 base level if I can help it.

I have a lot to learn though and look forward to reading the responses here.

I've asked this question myself, [PM.ed] but didn't get a response.Hope you get an answer! are there any analytical photogs out there??

I always start with composition, I like to think of a good picture as something you piece together. If the composition strikes me as interesting, that's the first sign that allows me to decide I'm taking a picture of it. I usually then decide on the best angle and point of focus, from there I adjust the aperture and shutter speed accordingly. I usually set my ISO before I go out to shoot, say if I'm shooting in broad daylight I'll use 100-200, etc..

I'm sure different people use different approaches, but I always start with composition, no point in setting up a perfect shot if what you're shooting isn't interesting.

My camera settings mental check list order:
  • Shooting mode
  • White balance
  • Focal length
  • Aperture
  • Focus point
  • Focus mode
  • Metering mode.
  • Shutter speed
  • ISO
  • exposure compensation (if any)
Works for me.

My mental checklist:

Check stuff...and some other stuff. See picture, capture picture. If I'm walking into a particular situation, say from indoors to bright daylight, there are a few adjustments I know I need to make, like setting my EV comp down a third, setting ISO to 100, WB to Daylight. Depending on what I'm shooting, I might change AF/AE lock settings.

If the subject is staying put, then I take a test shot with a Munsell card. No real order; very ad hoc. That's how the right side of my brain works though.

My camera settings mental check list order:
  • Shooting mode
  • White balance
  • Focal length
  • Aperture
  • Focus point
  • Focus mode
  • Metering mode.
  • Shutter speed
  • ISO
  • exposure compensation (if any)
Works for me.

This is what I had in mind, thanks a lot, it's helping me ;)

Most reactions

Back