Still a newbie---please provide C&C on outdoor photos

BHE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally got a chance to go outside and take some pictures today (been under 8* for the past couple of days).

These were taken with my D80--I'm still very new to photography and would appreciate and C&C you can provide.

Thanks in advance.

1. Shutter 1/125, f/5.6, ISO 400

LantermansMill.jpg

2. Shutter 1/160, f/6.3, ISO 400
LantermansCreek.jpg

One word: Wow.

A couple of great images.

I find myself wishing for a bit more color "pop" on the first especially, so maybe a little more saturation and contrast. The blown out sky is a little distracting, but if you'd compensated for the sky, the rest of the image would be underexposed... this one is probably a candidate for HDR to make it better.

The second one.. umm... a little more saturation, especially since the greens and oranges are there.

But seriously, a fine job with both of them.

I like the scene in 1 a lot. Looks like you were a bit too aggressive with the crop on top, though... too tight on the building I think. I think you should also look for some detail at that place. The iced up falls alone is probably a great subject for several neat pictures.

Still, good start!

wow, great shots.
I think the first picture just needs some processing (contrast and colour)

Thanks for the feedback! Please keep it coming.

Actually the first picture isn't cropped at all; it is exactly how I framed the shot (looking at it now I agree it is very tight).

I took some pictures of just the falls while adjusting the shutter speed, unfortunately, my tripod was in the other car. I will probably go back and take more pictures later in the week.

I am still extremely new to photography and am just now beginning to play with Capture NX2--hopefully I will get much better.

^^^ when I say cropped I mean either when you took the shot, or afterwards in processing. Not necessarily the latter.

Seems like you have a good eye. The technical part is way easier to learn than the eye, so be happy about that.

I have a horrible eye. :lol:

^^^ when I say cropped I mean either when you took the shot, or afterwards in processing. Not necessarily the latter.

Seems like you have a good eye. The technical part is way easier to learn than the eye, so be happy about that.

I have a horrible eye. :lol:

Thanks for the clarification Chris...didn't realize cropping included framing the shot (thought it was just post shot editing).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back