Still learning

Thank you very much for sharing your technique. I just tried it out on several photos, and was amazed at what a difference it made. Without comparing it to the original black and white, it almost fools your eye into believing it is the true black and white and then the slight bit of colour comes through.

Thanks once again, and amazing photos.

Peanuts said:
Thank you very much for sharing your technique. I just tried it out on several photos, and was amazed at what a difference it made. Without comparing it to the original black and white, it almost fools your eye into believing it is the true black and white and then the slight bit of colour comes through.

Thanks once again, and amazing photos.

We just did the same here! The difference is so slight that you have to compare them side by side. Thanks so much for the tip, Michael :thumbsup:

That was Alison......darn sharing a computer again :lmao:

mysteryscribe said:
Totally blown is not always a bad thing guys. Sometimes it works to your advantage. I know that is heresy but I've seen super high key that has a beautiful shock value. If you think about it some of you probably have as well.
I agree to an extent... but you don't need to blow the highlights at all to achieve a high key image.

And more importantly I don't see how the blowout adds to the picture in this case.

I think having a fringe of blown out hair can be nice, almost like a halo, but here I have to agree that it might be a little too big and a little distracting, as it does fight with her less-lit face. If it came down only half as much as it did, I think it would be perfect. I don't find it too be a huge detractor, though. I'd probably go with a vertical crop, however, coming in a little on the left and cropping just to the right of the hand with the vine.

DocFrankenstein said:
but you don't need to blow the highlights at all to achieve a high key image.

Just a "point of order".... HIGH CONTRAST does not equal HIGH KEY. These are two very different qualities.

mysteryscribe said:
Totally blown is not always a bad thing guys.

Agreed. I can't add to this statement.

I too found the second view very compelling. I wonder if something can't be done with the large object in the foreground.

Very nice!

Pete

One of the few times I disagree with a verticle crop of a single figure. To me this is the classic man with the cigar crop. If the vine doesn't have an ending or suggested ending, as in the lines are definitely going to merge soon, it would be distracting to me.

It's a trade off for me the rock in the bottom or the vines in the top. I would have done exactly the same thing.

And on the blowout hair thingie... I have sat and watched my grandson playing in the yard of his home. I have seen the sun hit his blonde hair just like that. I mean exactly like that, right down to obliterating the details totally. If I have seen it in real life why would it bother me in a photograph.

Everyone views photographs differently thank god. My test of a photograph is does anything bother me PERSONALLY in this one nothing does.

Most reactions

Back