Still life? - how is it done properly

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by puyjapin, Nov 18, 2008.

1. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ive only just started with a DSLR. I took this and obviously its just a middle of the road picture. How do I try and improve the look of pics like this?
    [​IMG]

2. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

that particular photo; crop it. the bottom half seems "empty".

if it was the other way around, where the top is empty, it might look okay.

other than that. its good. i dont know about the lemons though. it seems out of place. personally, i woulda gone with a wider aperture.

3. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sorry i really dont get some of the terminology, would that be a lower fstop?

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Firstly, I think the DOF (depth of field) is too shallow for this shot. The front fruits are in focus but the back ones aren't. I think that this particular shot would be better if more if it was in focus.

Secondly, the composition doesn't seem to be exciting or eye catching or even interesting. Its not terrible...but 'middle of the road' like you said. Try different arrangements & angles etc. until you find something that works.

And of course, lighting is always important. A change in the lighting can easily change everything about an image.

5. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sounds like you need to do some reading... check out understanding exposure, also check out http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

6. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

i guess me and Mike have a different eye. i dont know, i just like shallow dof unless im going landscape or something like that.

im just different. i like red apples over the green ones(lol), so i would just focus on the red and position and have the green one OOF(out of focus).

anyways.. yea, try a lower fstop.

7. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    so its totally possible to get the same amout of light/ exposure no matter what the f stop is by changing the shutter speed??

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    F-stop (aperture), shutter speed and ISO are all related. If you change one, without changing the others, you will affect the exposure. Also, you can change the settings and keep the same exposure if you compensate for the change by changing another setting.

You camera will both aperture and shutter priority modes. You can use these to control either the shutter or the aperture while the camera adjusts the other to keep the same exposure....provided that you are not up against a limit of either the shutter or the aperture etc.

If you use manual mode, changing a setting without compensating will affect the exposure.

9. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

but, if you change the shutter speed, itll affect the whole freeze/blur(motion) scene.

you might want to read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

tbh though, i bought it.. read a lot the first couple days, but havnt finished it. its been a couple of weeks now. the book didnt really teach me much, but thats because ive already read a lot online and asked questions online.

i still reccomend it though

10. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depth of field in this type of still life should encompass the whole subject, lighting is more important, and, when are you lot going to realize that a fast shutter speed isn't important for a "still" life, I've never seen an apple, orange or even a lemon run around during exposure.

Tenlientl said,
    " i dont know about the lemons though. it seems out of place. personally, i woulda gone with a wider aperture."

How about a banana, not that it would have made much difference to DOF:lol:

11. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

shape wise, yea.. out of place, lol.

iun know.. when i think of apples.. i think of oranges or anything else round that i can eat.. lemon, not really something you would eat.

12. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    so a slower shutter speed=more DOF? But presumabely it would be obligotary to use a tripod for slow shutter and a remote if poss?