still life project

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by jenny6165, Jan 15, 2005.

1. jenny6165

jenny6165 TPF Noob!

hi guys, im planning my shoot for the still life project im workin on at college. I do my final shoot a week on monday,
    anyway, i have to use a transparent/translucent, a textured and a reflective object.
    below are some ideas for composition, not lighting as i dont have the facilites here and the actual shooting will be using medium format cameras in a studio.
    Any ideas and thoughts would be great, be critical as i really want to try get myself a good mark.

Personally i think the background is too distracting, i will use a plain background in the actual shooting but cudnt figure out how to hold up the towel so i scrunched up several :shock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 2Stupid2Duck

2Stupid2Duck TPF Noob!

A bit ordered for me. Knock the top of the after-shave over. I think I prefer portrait - and I think leach some of the colour but not as much as pic 4. - for what it's worth mate.

3. jenny6165

jenny6165 TPF Noob!

thanks for the advice, as u can tell ive never done still life b4 and i wanna get it perfect by next monday, so any advice is much appreciated as im really stuck on this!

4. 2Stupid2Duck

2Stupid2Duck TPF Noob!

No prob mate. oh.. if it were mine, I would apply a gausian(sp) blur to the towels to hide the stacking effect.

Don't panic Jenny - you have the nub of a great shot here.

5. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

i would try and get some nonreflective white paper and use that as a background...also, if you can, bounce your flash off something instead of shining right to the subject.

great start!!!

md

6. jenny6165

jenny6165 TPF Noob!

what would u change composition wise. should i leave the mirror in the photo or take it out?
    I wont have access to different lighting techniques until im actually in the studio, unfortunetly, and i was absent when everyone else was practising with the lights.

7. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

IMO i would take the mirror out, it makes the subject really difficult to locate, just makes it confusing to me (my $.02)

8. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hmm I prefer portrait an dmaybe add there some drops of water.. it might be interesting

9. jenny6165

jenny6165 TPF Noob!

theres drops of water on all but the last one, but u cant really see them cos of the mirror :shock:
    also, when i do the actual shooting we'll be shooting on a square format 6x6.
    shud i position the objects differently?

10. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both the blue towels and the mirror bring too much to the images, makes your shots too busy. As MD suggested try getting some white non reflective white paper to use as a background and to set your subjects on.

If you have a desk lamp or something you would be better to use that as lighting rather than on board flash, cos your current lighting isnt very flattering.

Bring the angle of your camera down so your more looking straight on at your subjects rather than looking down at them, it will make a world of difference.

HTH

11. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think thats the main problem.

I agree. Isn't there a mixture that works better than water? Something like glycerine and water? In school people had the stuff in spray bottles to use on food. One assignment it was brushed on chocolate *shrugs* Although that one didn't work very well for them, the lights kept melting the chocolate lmao.

I like the mirror, but for this it's too much. Try using the towels, and a white BG. And maybe not fill the whoe background up with the toels? Just have one...one the side...? to move the horizon line up? IMO.

12. Rhubarb

Rhubarb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know if you have to shoot colour but maybe try some b&w as well.