Still practicing... still learning

ccphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still practicing, still learning and still using auto. I want to move to manual but I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive. I guess I'm afraid I will mess something up or don't know enough. Anyway, here are a few shots that I took (using auto). Any cc on these and any advice on moving beyond auto would be greatly appreciated!

They come off as snapshot-ish, which I guess happens alot when you do photos of kids.

I believe you missed the focus in the first one, things seem oof and blurry on the face.

The second one seems better for focus, but she is underexposed.

The last one seems to also suffer from missed focus and I'm also not a fan of her looking down like that.

Why the worry about manual shooting? Are you being paid for these shots? The best way to learn is to jump into it and start doing it. So the next 5 pictures you post should be done only in manual mode. I will accept AV or TV for this time, but not P. :)

in the second one it looks like you were using matrix metering and it picked up the background as being significantly brighter and reduced the overall exposure to compensate. the result is not enough exposure on your daughter. spot or center metering should solve this.

one and three could also use more exposure, but auto always seems to do that if you don't bump up your EV a stop or so.

no reason to be scared of M, just learn how to read your histogram if you don't already.

auto vs non-auto.
If you want to stick with auto then there's no need to play with SLRs. Its cheaper with P&S. You don't have to shoot at Manual right away, learn the basics and advantges/disadvantages of P,A,S, modes.
First things first. On D50 (I used to have that camera), shooting above ISO400 will be noisy. Thus get out of green and get some POWER back into your hands.
Switch camera to P, ISO 400, pop the flash out when needed. Meter at center; matrix, as was pointed out above, might not be very accurate especially outdoors.
As you get a feel a bit more, start experimenting with A&S modes. Ideally, you should get accurate exposure for given ISO but effects will vary. Ex: ISO 400 f/5.6 at 1/200 vs iso 400 f/11 at 1/50 - exposure shouldn't change but effects will vary.

Tamron 18-200, if thats the 3.5-6.3 (I don't feel like looking up their lineup right now), again it was a lens I used to have, it is very soft at default settings, therefore on Pg 48 of your manual (or DL it from here User's Manual - D50 - Guide to Digital Photography) Choose costume settings where you can boost up the sharpness and saturation a drop.
OF COURSE if you're shooting raw and not using Nikon's gear, then you alter that in PP. The advantage of Nikon's software is that it'll read your camera settings+raw data and will interpret them both, unlike other raw converters, will read raw data only. But that's a whole different topic and its actually I recently began experimenting with :)
good luck and keep on shooting.

The manual modes aren't as intimidating as it sounds...unless you're shooting in true manual mode. Start with the aperture & shutter priority modes (Av & Tv for Canon, A & S for everything else I think). With these you set the aperture or shutter speed, and the camera figures out the rest for you. It's a nice mix between full auto and full manual.

dude, just make the lunge...i started in manual mode, and i am glad i did....i forced myself to learn ISO, aperture, and proper shutter speeds....sure, i am still super noobish, but what i know now, compared to what i new when i started is crazy...

Thank you all for your help. I am going to give all of your suggestions a try and will post some of the results. Thanks for the encouragement!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back