Still shocked about the Sigma 150-500 and the D7100

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We hear it so many times that the 150-500 isn't that sharp at 500. At F8 this lens is brilliant. I can get 4 stops of OS and even more if my subjects don't move... The D7100 continues to impress me, especially the higher ISO performance, although I changed my shooting habits quite a bit from the D300. I actually have been shooting in AF-A, Single point with both AF-S and AF-C set to "focus". I have been using spot metering almost exclusively lately. I've found shooting in manual mode with auto ISO maxed at 3200 is pretty good with a touch of + EC.. Anyways, it still didn't stop me from pre-ordering the Tamron 150-600!!!.. comments welcome..

1 ISO 1600 in the rain..

Rainy Day House Sparrow 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

2 ISO 2200 in the rain

Rainy Day House Sparrow 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

3 boring but 1/60th HH

Rainy Day Mourning Dove 1/60th by krisinct, on Flickr

4 and in good light...

Female Cardinal in the shadows by krisinct, on Flickr

But,but,but,but...we have a member here who continually says in-lens image stabilization is of "limited use"...

<sigh> I don't think I like you any more, Kris... :lmao:

Because you are seriously making me feel like a completely incompetent monkey with a camera, using the same lens I have and getting results that are 163 times better. :D

Because you are seriously making me feel like a completely incompetent monkey with a camera, using the same lens I have and getting results that are 163 times better. :D
Don't worry.

Even though he makes wonderfully awesome photos,

he cheats :lmao:

Beautiful shots, Kris. That combination is working well for you.

I think the biggest problem with the 150-500 is the hit-or-miss quality control. I've had mine for a couple of years and have never had any complaints about its sharpness. It even does a very good job wide open, just a lot better stopped down to around f/8. I played around with the focus fine tune with it on my D7000 and always came back to zero as being the best.

Do you have proof it's a 163 times better :)

Don't worry.
Even though he makes wonderfully awesome photos,
he cheats :lmao:
Not true, the sparrows do not like my fish costume I wear for my Ospreys :lol:

Beautiful captures - if there is any sort of sharpness problem here I'm certainly not seeing it.
Nope, my point is most people online say this lens is soft at 500mm, and I have found just the opposite...

Beautiful shots, Kris. That combination is working well for you.

I think the biggest problem with the 150-500 is the hit-or-miss quality control. I've had mine for a couple of years and have never had any complaints about its sharpness. It even does a very good job wide open, just a lot better stopped down to around f/8. I played around with the focus fine tune with it on my D7000 and always came back to zero as being the best.

I know you shoot single point, try setting AF-C to "Focus" you might miss an occasional flight shot, but I have found much more consistency when AF s/c are both set to focus... I mentioned earlier, I've found the AF-A mode very good and the camera switches instantly when it detects motion. Back in the day with the D90 it would take several seconds before the mode would switch. I was hesitant to try it but found it worked quite well.. In another post you mentioned the camera doesn't stay locked on in complicated scenes. What is you A3 setting (3)normal?

AF-C is set to "Focus". I'm not sure about AF-S. I'll have to check that. To be honest, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever tried AF-A on my D7000 or D7100. I did try it a few times on my D90 and found, as you mentioned, that it was somewhat slow to change modes. I'm heading out for a while in the morning and will have to give that a try.

A3 is set to "Off". I don't have problems maintaining focus on the subject when the background is complicated, the problem I have is trying to use one of the dynamic autofocus modes when the camera can try to decide what the subject is. When shooting a flock of gulls in flight using dynamic autofocus, for example, I'll have one in good, clean focus and the next thing I know the camera has decided to try and follow a different bird. Or when shooting against a busy background I'll have one gull in focus and the camera takes off and tries to follow a tree in the background. I'm sure it works for some but it just plain doesn't work for me.

I know you shoot single point, try setting AF-C to "Focus" you might miss an occasional flight shot, but I have found much more consistency when AF s/c are both set to focus... I mentioned earlier, I've found the AF-A mode very good and the camera switches instantly when it detects motion. Back in the day with the D90 it would take several seconds before the mode would switch. I was hesitant to try it but found it worked quite well.. In another post you mentioned the camera doesn't stay locked on in complicated scenes. What is you A3 setting (3)normal?

AF-C is set to "Focus". I'm not sure about AF-S. I'll have to check that. To be honest, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever tried AF-A on my D7000 or D7100. I did try it a few times on my D90 and found, as you mentioned, that it was somewhat slow to change modes. I'm heading out for a while in the morning and will have to give that a try.

A3 is set to "Off". I don't have problems maintaining focus on the subject when the background is complicated, the problem I have is trying to use one of the dynamic autofocus modes when the camera can try to decide what the subject is. When shooting a flock of gulls in flight using dynamic autofocus, for example, I'll have one in good, clean focus and the next thing I know the camera has decided to try and follow a different bird. Or when shooting against a busy background I'll have one gull in focus and the camera takes off and tries to follow a tree in the background. I'm sure it works for some but it just plain doesn't work for me.

Try turning A3 to medium, you might be surprised. I've tracked owls through the woods behind trees and it stays locked on. With it set to off, if the subject distance changes at all the camera will instantly try to find a new target. A3 will keep it locked on much better....

But,but,but,but...we have a member here who continually says in-lens image stabilization is of "limited use"...

:)

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Try turning A3 to medium, you might be surprised. I've tracked owls through the woods behind trees and it stays locked on. With it set to off, if the subject distance changes at all the camera will instantly try to find a new target. A3 will keep it locked on much better....

I'll give it a try. Nothing to lose and everything to gain ;) Thanks for the tip.

Do you have proof it's a 163 times better :)

Yes, that was a VERY scientific study that I did, comparing all sorts of extremely complicated, science-y things and using algorithms or something else very official and difficult-sounding to arrive at my ironclad conclusion. :lmao:
It was *actually* 163.4449 percent better, but I cut myself a break. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back