Still using the "F" word

kelli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Film --- that is. Hi everyone. I'm new here and have lots of questions about going digital. I've decided to make the move, but unsure which camera is best suited for my needs. I'm shooting with a Cannon Elan which I really like. The one that is closest to my Elan is the Cannon EOS 20D (8mp). It was recommended that I use an 8 mp or higher because I'll be doing portrait work. I was wondering if anyone uses this particular camera and what they think about it. Just need opinions before I make the purchase. Thanks so much!

Welcome kelli. The Elan was my first Canon. Great camera. I then upgraded to an EOS5. I now use a 10D, the immediate predecessor of the 20D. It was like using a direct swap for the EOS5, only digital. I think you'll really like the 20D. It will have some extra features the Elan doesn't have.

Welcome to the forum.

I, as well as many members here, have the 20D. It's a great camera and should be a great fit for you, coming from an Elan.

Since you shoot with Canon gear already, another consideration should be the Rebel XT. It's a fair bit less expensive but it's not the camera that the 20D is. The XT is smaller (too small for me) although it can be fitted with a battery grip. The layout and controls are different. The 20D has the thumb wheel that the Elan has...that is a great feature.

The 20D has a more solid body while the XT has more plastic, although it's still not a toy camera.

The image quality is very similar, I think the 20D has slightly more pixels 8.2 vs 8.0 The best argument for the XT is that you can use the savings toward better glass.

Do you like to shoot wide angle? Both cameras have a 1.6x cropping factor. So the lenses you use on the Elan, will give a view as if they were 1.6 times longer. That's nice on the tele end but not so much on the wide end. Both the 20D and the XT can use Canon's EF-S lenses...which are made specifically for these 1.6 crop cameras. They give you a wider view for less than a real full frame EF lens would cost.

I've been very happy with my 20D, it's been great for me. I've even put it though some torture while in the rain forests of Costa Rica, and it's still working great.

If you're financially advantaged, the Canon 5D might be an option. It's basically the 20D body but it has a full frame sensor...so there is no crop factor and you get 12MP rather than 8. Of course, it's at least twice as expensive as the 20D.

One thing to consider...Canon may be announcing a replacement for the 20D in February at the PMA. There is a lot of speculation but Canon is pretty tight lipped so no-body will know for sure until the press release is out. You might want to hold out for the new model (if there is one) or you might be able to take advantage of a reduced price on the 20D.

If you're financially advantaged, the Canon 5D might be an option. It's basically the 20D body but it has a full frame sensor...so there is no crop factor and you get 12MP rather than 8. Of course, it's at least twice as expensive as the 20D.

Also be aware but may not be of importance that the 5D has no built in flash

Yeh well I don't consider it a disadvantage. The built in flash on my 350D is pretty pointless.

I very, very rarely use the flash on my 20D...but I'm glad it's there. If I can take just my camera in my small Lowepro TZ-1 bag, I'm happy. If I end up needing the built-in flash, it's always there. If I want to bring my flash unit, I need a bigger bag.

Of course, I'd trade the built-in flash for a bigger viewfinder.

Another happy user here.

Very intuitive pup. Excels at high ISO's (which was my primary reason behind the purchase). Apart from the focus issues that some have faced (which Canon takes care of), 20D is a stellar machine for that price!

Like Mike said, I'd wait till the upcoming PMA.

Of course, I'd trade the built-in flash for a bigger viewfinder.

Goodness me yes. the view finder is terrible in the 35D i think. Useable but so poor compared to old film cameras
about a 1/4 of the size.

Most reactions

Back