stock photo libraries

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by metroshane, May 16, 2003.

1. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

Anyone a member of a stock photo library? What are your experiences?

2. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

Well, nobody responded to this thread...so I guess no one here is familiar with stock photo libraries. I suggest you look into them because there is some real talent here and you could be making some serious cash with the photos I've seen.

Basically it's like you contract these companies to sell your photos on consignment. They do the negotiating and contracts, and get half....which is a pretty good deal. I mean the kind of pics that the libraries sell usually aren't the fine art kind you sell yourself.

While I've never contracted myself (I'm looking for a librarie now), I've read quite a bit about it so feel free to discuss.

3. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    As you get more information on this, please keep us updated.

I'm sure there are quite a few people here that would be extremely interested in the idea of making some money off of some of their photos. Hey, if nothing else it gives you money to invest back in to more equipment!

Please keep us updated!

4. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well I know Magnum Photos is the largest stock photo coop in the world. It was started by a group of photographers and I think it's still run by a board of photographers who are also members. Other than that I don't know much about the organization. I don't think that just anyone can join though.
    Supposudly this is the link to their main site, but it doesn't look like it's up:
    www.magnumphotos.com

I know I had an article about selling stock photos somewhere. I'll have to try and dig it out this weekend and I'll try to give you some usefull information.

5. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you get the chance you should check out a book called Shoot: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About 35mm Photography. It's an overall good book, but it has in it's Appendix a 10 page introduction to selling stock photography.
    It might be worth the trip to the Library.
    Once again it's called "Shoot". It's edited by Liz Harvey, but has many contributors. The ISB is 0-8174-5869-7.

6. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

Thanks TMA. I've seen several books at the library like that...and have read extensively about it. I guess I'm looking for real world examples and testimonials.

7. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    np, but I've never sold any stock photos so i can't give you any first hand info...sorry

8. piksells

piksells TPF Noob!

Hi metroshane and others...

I submit pictures to around eight different stock libraries. I'm an enthusiast, and have been submitting for the past few months.

There is no doubt about it that it is quite a thrill when your images are accepted, and an even bigger thrill when they start to sell!

Each library is a little different, both in the images they will accept, and in the way they sell.

There are a few rules that seem to apply across all the libraries:

1. Technical quality is a must - blurry pics, blown-out highlights etc are out.

2. The bigger the image the better...most want at least 2.5MP (2.5 Million Pixels) - multiply the width by the length to see if yours will qualify.

I started off with a Panasonic FZ5, but a number of images were being rejected due to fringing at edges, or image noise. I've gone on to a Nikon D200 and that problem has now gone away.

3. Subjects need to be bold, simple, well-composed...on the thirds, with no distractions at the edges of the frame.

..If you are interested I'd be more than happy to share my experiences in more depth. I can even post you links so you can have a go at making some money too!!

9. laxb0rder

laxb0rder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    piksells please share experiances and web pages.

10. Protean

Protean TPF Noob!

yes please

11. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you look around, there seems to be a lot of controversy about stock companies, mainly centered around the idea that selling photos to stock companies drives down the commercial prices for all photographers. Why should someone pay $100 for a photo from Mr. (or Ms.) Pro Photographer when they can get a stock image for $5 taken by some yahoo with a DSLR? Mind you, I'm not saying this is necessarily the "right" mindset, it's just what a lot of people seem to think. I looked into stock photography for a while, but I don't think I'd ever do it. I think if I took some prints to a local art fair and somebody offered me $2 for something I put a lot of thought and work into, I'd feel pretty insulted. To me, it's pretty much the same thing. However, I've heard good things about www.photographersdirect.com - they have this whole spiel on their website about "fair trade" photography, and seem in general to pay a lot more for photos. They won't, however, accept images from people who have images on micro stock websites like istockphoto and dreamstime.

12. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    well... I am a member of one stock lib. but earned about $8 ... I prefer to do a pront of my photo, frame it and sell on ebay for example where i can get even $70 for one pic and I know that it won't be scanned and used somewhere because it is illegal. With stock lib. someona can just download your picture for $1 and use it in leaflets or advertisements almost for free....
    I've heard about photographersdirect as well but I wasn't able to get there because my photos where to small