Stock photography sites... Thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tirediron, Sep 21, 2005.

1. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Several people have suggested that I submit some of my work to the various stock photography sites on the 'net. It seems like a relatively easy way to potentially make a few dollars, what do you think? How many out there have tried them, or use them on a regular basis? Are there any dangers, (assuming one reads and understands their agreements) or sites to stay away from? What sort of luck have those of you that have tried them experienced? Thanks!

2. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    Hey there.

I am registered at shutterstock, dreamstime and istockphoto.

shutterstock I have about 68 photos on and have made around $4.80 (yeah, not much, but getting there.)

the other two are more a waste of time. Istock dont want to accept my photos. Dreamstime I only have 2 photos on cause the upload process is long and boring..

Shutterstock you can upload via ftp. So just drag and drop. and then go and fill in "details" afterwards.

I have heard that shutterstock have the best turn around on approval times - but I don't know about that. Apparently you need 7 of your first 10 photos there to be approved otherwise you have to wait a few months and try again. So only submit your very best photos first time round...

I hope that helps.

Now just to be really annoying. If you found that helpful, could you please click my link if you sign up with shutterstock, so I am your referrer? (that just means I will make 3c when you sell a photo. Lol - I'm desperate.)..

Link: http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=2719

If not, oh well, it doesn't really matter.

Hope that helped you :)

3. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I registered on Photograpersdirect.com a couple of months ago. I've got around 70images uploaded and just made my first sale.
    This image has been bought by a company in Germany for a calendar with a run of 5000.
    125Euros which is about £85....not bad for a first sale!!!

Costs nothing to upload unless you opt for the subscription service to avoid paying commission.

4. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

Yes, i think its a great idea, but i believe that you need quite a few stock photos to start with to start a good steady income...

5. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

I suppose it's alright, but a lot of artists feel that it depreciates the value of their work, and yours.

Also keep in mind that Stock Photography is not Art Photography. People that browse thoose sites are looking for pictures of buisness people, buisness items, backgrounds, yada yada yada, so don't expect pictures of your mom to sell well.

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input! Directphoto is the one with which I have registered (although I've yet to submit anything). Interestingly they are very opposed to istock and similar sites... (From their site):

Not sure if I agree with the comment about it deprecating the photographer's work.. I suppose it depends on one's approach.

7. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Great link Darich...I don't really care for stock photography much b/c of the lack of pay, which is to be expected, but this site looks pretty cool. I may give it a try...

8. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks eromallegadnama

i figured i had nothing to lose by posting image on photographers direct since it costs nothing to upload and nothing for them to hoset images. I was also constantly being asked what i was doing to sell my images.
    Looks like it's paid off a bit quicker than i thought it would. I've only been on photographers direct a couple of months and I've sold one image for around £85. I've also got a few further possibles which could pay wquite handsomely if they come up trumps!!
    :thumbup:

9. cristiaciobanu

cristiaciobanu TPF Noob!

I think you can't get rich by doing stock photography. But if you want to try it here is a web site that contains information about stock photography agencies and also a list of stock agencies: http://stockphotography.uv.ro/en/indexen.html
    Good luck!

10. dappleyard

dappleyard TPF Noob!

There's a new stock photography site getting ready to launch soon it would seem - www.ourstockworks.com. Looks pretty nice, I got a preview account a couple of days ago and have been impressed so far.

11. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ourstockworks.com
    My first impressions are that the text is very small to read and therefore maybe difficult to navigate.
    I also noticed that they sell "from £20". It looks like an inflated version of the micro stock sites that are talked about on here.
    With a commission of 50% going to the site it seems quite high although i know other places charge similar or even more.
    PhotographersDirect only charge 20% commission. You can opt for a subscription membership and pay no commission if you get regular sales.

My initial thoughts are that ourstockworks is another micro site that charges very little and undersells photos.

I'm open to be proved wrong though

12. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah but PhotographersDirect require the pictures to be very very big... so analogue - mostly mediumf ormat and bigger... and digitals... from 6MP... ehh not for me...