Stock Photography

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by silver163, May 18, 2007.

1. silver163

silver163 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    can anyone recommend a good stock photography company, one that pays a fairly good amount and/or lets you bargain the price for "special" photos? thanks in advance.

2. wesd

wesd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ya I would be interested in this thread.
    Wes

3. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have always found there is a profit in buying stock photography, not selling it. I currently have bought 1,000,000 royalty free/rights free photos.

I have used such photos to speed up the process of producing multimedia presentations. It is much easier and faster for example for me to come up with a rights free photo of an antique telephone than finding one to shoot. I use my own photos as well and some animation but time is money and combining stock photos into collages with titles etc. can produce a great presentation without sending the cost factor into the stratosphere. Of course the bottom line is that the customer is happy with a great presentation at a very competitive price.

skieur

4. DigitalDiva

DigitalDiva TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm also interested in where to sell some work as stock photography. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

5. wesd

wesd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One stock photography place that I know of is the www.stockphotospot.com , it was an advertisement on this site. They dont really give you that much for an image but you do keep the rights for the shot. So if you have a lot of shots that you dont really want then I guess its worth it, but shop around and keep us posted.
    Wes

6. CBRfanatic

CBRfanatic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    www.photographersdirect.com

They take a fairly small percentage, photos are priced at a lot more (like $50 up to the $1000's, I think) and you keep the rights. They have a whole thing on their website about "fair trade photography". I have some stuff on there, but have yet to sell anything.

8. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Istock account but have only made about $7 on my shots. Granted I have only 5 pictures on there, but it's hard to have them approved. I always run into artifacts. Most of my pictures are of storms and they don't take sunset and cloud pictures very often because of the high volume that they already have. I do of some that have the nac for finding that one picture that qualifies for a great stock photo. I know of some that have made a VERY good living at stock photography but they upload tons of pictures a day.

9. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As far as I'm concerned any place that only gives me $0.20c (equivalent of 10p) is as good as stealing it from me. If it's good enough to use in the public domain then the price should reflect that.

www.stockphotospot.com, www.shutterstock.com, www.istockphoto.com are all taking advantage of the digital revolution in cameras nad that people who never sold an image now can.
    In every site, bar none, you retain the rights so making a big deal out of that is a bit sneaky and could lead you to think that other sites take those rights away.
    I use www.photographersdirect.com and there are 2 main differences there:
    • first off i decide the price and the use of the image is agreed and included in the binding agreement, unlike the royalty free sites who could sell my image who uses it to promote something i'm against.
    • i can use the images again and again because i know where they've been used. With Royalty Free you can run into legal problems with different printers/publishers in a competing market

And apart from that, I got more a of a kick selling my one image for over £85 ($170) than i ever would from selling loads for a next to nothing.

10. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Darich, sorry for going off topic but I saw a well made television show the other night about the life and activities of William Wallace. Needless to say, your home town came up several times. It is a place of much history.

11. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fred
    My home town is actually Glasgow, i moved here around a year ago. I live about 6 miles from Lanark. It's a very old town and as you probably saw, is steeped in history.

But i still think it's robbery to sell an image for a few pence like the sites i mentioned!!
    :)

12. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you wouldn't mind, I have some questions about this site. Do/Have you sell/sold a lot of pictures on this site: www.photographersdirect.com? Do you have to have some one look over the picture for quality before you upload it? I'm assuming there is a minimum size. Do you have to pay to be a member? I'm sorry but I didn't see any of that info when I checked that site out.