Stop! C&C please

BCW,

you have to make photographs. That means finding ways to remove distracting elements, and choosing what part of the subject you wish to emphasize. Now, these kinds of shots appeal to me because I like when photographers shoot ordinary objects and turn them into artwork. Any idiot can produce a good photograph of a beautiful subject, especially since most cameras these days will do everything short of have sex with you.

Do you ever spend time analyzing your own photos? Ever ask yourself why you like a particular photo? You should if you don't. You'll improve faster.

I think this photo doesn't work because it is one-dimensional. This stop sign / gate is a good stage for a photograph, but it needs more. How great would it be if you had people riding bicycles, running, and maybe jumping in the background? Shot with 1/500 shutter, the action would be froze, and this stop sign would be a part of a more interesting photograph.

I am guessing you were shooting in full auto.

Exif says aperture priority. I think if you're going to do an artsy shot and have a min to compose and setup you should take the shot in manual. Av and Tv are there more for faced paced shooting, where you don't exactly get to turn the dials before and after every shot.

I have to disagree. They are tools to use just like everything else. The only difference between those and manual is that its usually more of a pain to purposely over or under expose a shot as opposed to what the cameras meter is telling you. Some people just think they aren't a TRUE photographer unless they are using Manual mode, just like some people used to think ( and some still do you aren't a real photographer unless you use film.

When I was starting out I found that the best way to challenge myself was to think about what made an image interesting. Stopping to think about it and really considering what goes into an interesting and engaging shot will go a long way to making interesting and engaging shots. It looks like you're fine technically (exposure/focus) so thinking about the creative side of things should do you good.

I don't think it is that interesting. I don't mean that as an insult. I just think there is nothing unique about it. Its just a random pristine stopsign. Maybe if it was like all rusted up, or had shotgun holes in it or something, it would have some character. But even in that case, I would have chose a slightly better angle. Doesn't have to be head on, but you went a little too far to the side I think and the sign ( your subject ) is squished up too much. Also I would try blurring the background more since that also doesn't add to the picture at all.

As for your comment about "on the right track" I assume you mean for taking good pictures, but thats really half personal taste and the other half technical know how. I would say this. ( something I have been trying to work on more and more myself. ) Don't force a shot. If something jumps out at you as being cool or unique, take the shot. Or for action, you have to let things unfold and anticipate things, not force them. Then they seem contrived. It seems to me that you were itching to bust out your new camera, had no inspiration for anything to shoot, so instead decided to shoot a random boring object and thought that if you angled it, it would look artsy. Again, I don't mean this as an insult, I have done that plenty of times myself, just food for thought next time you are out shooting.

Well stated.

What I also do when I see something that just does not click in my mind but comes up way deep down in the back of my mind....take my picture, take my picture, take my picture
I uncontrolably press the shutter button. I go home, open the shot in my computer and cheerfully delete it, knowing my other mediocre shots look so much better.:mrgreen:

BCW, just ceep on clicking i am sure you will get the interesting ones soon :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Your Title made me stop. Yes, it is boring, but "boring" doesn't really help you get better.

On this shot, I would have shot super shallow. As shallow as I could go, from the side. Where the S would be in focus, but only almost.

Then I would crop it, to make sure that the stop sign is the big deal. I would have cropped it right to left, ending just after the stop sign.

Then I would have pumped those colors and put in some major contrast to spice it up.

I hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back