Stop Learning and Start Seeing

photoguy99

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Before you grab your pitchfork, I don't mean to stop learning permanently.

Funny thing about the human brain. The things you've learned most recently are the most accessible in your memory. So, if you just learned about sharpening, or a new sharpening method, that's what you're going to look for in your own or other photos. If you just learned about white balance, the white balance is practically the only thing you're going to be able to see in an image.

So take a break from time to time. Don't learn anything new for a week. Bookmark that great tutorial for later, et aside that brilliant explanation of telephoto vs. retrofocus for next month.

Just look at photographs. Set aside what you've already learned and just look. See past the blocked up shadows and the noise and the slightly missed focus. Ignore that and feel it.

Interesting

Do you meant to imply I can't just "read" the piano theory book from cover to cover and then go play a concert without ever having done any practice?

Do you have any evidence to offer to back up your position? ;-)

Do you meant to imply I can't just "read" the piano theory book from cover to cover and then go play a concert without ever having done any practice?

Do you have any evidence to offer to back up your position? ;-)
Ah crap, really? Sigh. Guess I'll have to cancel the concert now. Took me forever to get all the way through the book.

Seriously, would it kill you guys to send out a memo on this stuff every now and again?

If photographers ran the classical piano business, the standard repertoire would consist mainly of Hanon. A bit of Czerny now and then, for the daring experimental concerts

okay .... I still think fundamentals are very important which everything else is based and built upon.

Just look at photographs. Set aside what you've already learned and just look. See past the blocked up shadows and the noise and the slightly missed focus. Ignore that and feel it.
I think your last paragraph is more about enjoying the photo you are looking at versus doing any C&C.

No. There is more to comments and critique than technical details. Or even about artistic details.

Ultimately it had to be about how you as the viewer react, everything else is just a means to that end.

No. There is more to comments and critique than technical details. Or even about artistic details.

Ultimately it had to be about how you as the viewer react, everything else is just a means to that end.
Yes VIEW it & Enjoy it vs critiquing it - - is what you are getting at.

Any effective teaching method has to be a mixture of both instruction and learning and then practice and implementation. What you are proposing is not a pause nor stop to the learning process, indeed its simply a reminder and a helpful (if not as well worded) reminder to people that they must mix both learning and practice.

But also of course that they must also ensure that they retain the fun element in their chosen hobby. That they do not get focused upon one area to the detriment of others, including the enjoyment of the hobby itself. That is, of course, unless the theory side of things is the side that they find most fascinating and enjoyable.

Most reactions

Back