STOP LOOKING AT THE LCD!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by joecoulsonphotography, Sep 4, 2008.

1. joecoulsonphotography

joecoulsonphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I switched from film to digital about 4 years ago. When I did it was so cool to be able to see the shot to check for color, exposure and sharpness. It be came routine to check after shots for this. When on a shoot a year or so ago with my wife as my assistant, she noticed that when I looked down to check the screen, i missed a great pose/shot. I thought it wasn't a big deal and I will probably be fine. On a cpl more shoots after that I tried to stop looking at the lcd. I was hooked!!! I have battled with this for some time now and for about the last 8 months or so, don't even check the lcd (except before shooting to check WB/EXP for that location) I am happy to say that because of this "recovery" I am able to get shots like this one:
    http://www.joecoulsonphotography.com/blanket1_op_428x600.jpg

The girl was maing her way to the other children in the shoot with the blanket she was going to lay on. Had I been checking the shot I just made without her in the scen, I would have missed this shot( I personally LOVE this pic)

Anyway, just wondered if the rest of you are powerless over the LCD?:confused:

2. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the key is to check the histogram,
    I do not need to see the picture (But it is nice) but I do like to look at the histogram to check exposure. You can check much faster than looking for hotspots in your photo.
    I myself will never give this up. Being able to see detailed exposure information is great.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is commonly called 'Chimping'. From what I've heard, the term came about when someone observed a group of sports photographers...and after every burst of shots, they would all check their screens...and I guess they looked like a group of chimps.

I sometimes find that I'm checking it too often, so I try to do it less...but I'm usually checking the histogram, as Speedtrap mentioned, to see that my exposure is OK. When shooting a fast moving job, like a wedding, I check it often...unless the shots are all in the same light. When doing studio shooting, I check it and set it, then rarely look at the exposure....but I might check for expressions to know if I 'got the shot'.

4. joecoulsonphotography

joecoulsonphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes it does depend on what you are shooting for sure. I shoot mostly kids and they give you very small windows to capture their true personalities. I do not check with sports either. Weddings are different (for blinkers) but usually shooting raw will help as long as I shoot a touch underexp.

5. holga girl

holga girl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ug. this is certainly an issue for me. i am thinking about turning off the replay on my camera. sometimes i wonder, how did i get by for the past decade without a screen?

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never check mine (it's broken ;)), but yeah - I do miss being able to check the histogram...

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    histogram for certain - nothing worse than shooting for ages and not checking only to find out that you have blown the whole lot - or underexposed them (done that a few times now!). With wildlife I try and get a shot off early which is around the same place as the subject and then check that shot for exposure on the histogram - I leave it be or change to get the histogram right and then shoot way till the action is gone - checking when I can if the lighting changes (I also my settings as best I can to adapt, but the histogram is better at telling).

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I keep my screen off, and check it when I need to. Obviously if staring at the screen is causing you to miss shots that's a bad thing. If checking occasionally helps get good shots that's a good thing. Long before LCD screens became popular photogs were using Polaroid because it helped them create better photos. Everything in moderation.

9. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

SO FREAKIN' SORRY !!!!! :greenpbl:

I will admit, I am a chimp when it comes to my histogram. If something changes, check the HG, then shoot away. Zoom out, zoom in, change DOF, background changes, etc, etc.....check HG.

10. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And because whenever they see a photo they think is good, they point at it and say, "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!"

11. Marnault

Marnault TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I normally don't look at my LCD after most shots, but if using manual flash, or in difficult lighting I will usually check the first few shots to make sure everything looks good. But after that I normally don't look at my shots until there is a break in the "action" or major change in lighting.

Just as the op said, I find if you look at the LCD too much you end up missing some good shots.

12. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree, I usually just look once in a while to make sure my exposure is pretty accurate, particularly when the lighting changes (sun to shade, indoors - out etc.)