Storage for photo CD's

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi-

I wanted to know if it's safe to store my photo CD's and DVD's in one of those CD storage books. I'm concerned that the CD leaning up against the pages will scratch them or damage them over time.

So I guess my question is, what is the best way to store CD's and DVD's? I literally have hundreds of disks, so I'm looking for the best way to protect (and condense) them!

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hello,

I wouldn't worry about scratching so much, as I would worry about moisture and fungus. I would imagine you're talking about the CD books with the plastic flexible pages? It's best to store CDs in hefty jewel cases which will not allow so much air flow as the CD books do. Also if the images are important make sure you have a backup in case a CD fails.

I would go to a discount computer store and buy plastic jewel cases in bulk - they're pretty cheap, and store those inside of a plastic container.

I used to store images on CD/DVD and then started getting reading problems. Now I do not trust the medium. I use multiple hard drives as my backup storage solution with images saved at least twice.

Don't get me wrong, hard drives fail too but they are much easier to work with than CD/DVD.

1 x external 400Gb hard disk takes up a very small space on my desk. In order to get the same capacity, you'd need around 100 DVDs or over 600 CDs!!! Speed of CD/DVD is very slow in comparison to hard disk too.

I just can't see the benefit of CD/DVD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back