Storage or workflow ideas?

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is correct section but suppose storage for processing is related so here goes=

I just got a new laptop. I am not as organised as I should be with my photos. I am not a pro, just enthusiast but would like to have a good system so I know where everything is.

I think i should put raws in a raw folder, jpegs in a jpeg folder and edits in an edited folder, backing up raws on a portable hard drive, but raws may fill my computer fairly fast.

What do you guys do? I'd like to have a better system of organising. Thanks

DEFINITELY, move the raw files OFF of the local hard disk after processing of them has been done...they are huge, and they really are unwieldy.

DEFINITELY, move the raw files OFF of the local hard disk after processing of them has been done...they are huge, and they really are unwieldy.
I will do. Whats your general way of doing this type of thing?

I will do. Whats your general way of doing this type of thing?

I never store them on the internal drive to begin with. I always ingest images to an external drive to start with.

I keep the downloads in folders, by year. For example, here is an actual download archive. The color-coded labels are a Mac OS thing, which allows me to search for stuff by qualitative character, like, "Has this been backed up to a second drive???" and so on.

Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.21.48 AM.png
I prefer to keep the different types of images (RAWS, in-camera-created JPG files, and Lightroom export JPG files) in the SAME folder/directory, so I can keep track of what has been done to what.
Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.23.53 AM.png

Above is a section of an archive that has all-blue labels, which in my customized Mac OS labelling system means "copied to other media" or "this has been backed up". I have color-coded this characteristic for 15+years now. As you can see by the folder sizes, each of the above lines represents one,single DVD disc. As is the standard the "~" means, the title has been amended with what follows the ~", which in this case is "Burned to DVD", so I know for certain that besides these files in folders on this hard drive, there is also a copy of the images in the 2013 year's DVD backup system.

Thanks Derrel. I will have a good look at this way and may copy or do something similar. If nothing else it may put me on the road to a better system than I use

Thanks for sharing Derrell. I wonder if I can color code in Win 7. Will have to research.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back