Storm Images from Australia.

Thanks very much to you all for the feedback!

@Jason, the first lightning image was captured in bulb mode. The full moon to my left lit the top of the storm anvil, plus the flank line feeding the storm. The exposure was approx 30 seconds, enough time for the moon to light up the scene and also wait for a flash from the clouds. ISO was as low as I could go 100 aperture f5.6

Second image was captured in AV mode, using burst mode. With each reading as it got dark, AV would choose another shutter speed, took maybe 100 images to capture one strike.

Hi Mark,

#1 the cloud that looks fake is a rare multiple pileus cap and certainly not added. The cumulus tower that can be seen punching through the cap forms quickly below layers of humid air in the atmosphere that are invisible but are compressed by the rising air and form the disks and pileus layers that you can see. It's a fair indication of severe weather, especially as it pushed further up into the atmosphere with the cell reaching cumulonimbus incus (anvil) stage, thunderstorm.

I found this really interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you have some background on the great captures you've acquired.

The 3ed one is amazing !

Get a smaller signature.

Hi there, lately I was out from the forum because busy with my a new release of my website, now is fine, I guess I'm back.

Nice job, the colors are amazing!
Wish to visit Australia one day.

Keep going....

Hi Mark,

#1 the cloud that looks fake is a rare multiple pileus cap and certainly not added. The cumulus tower that can be seen punching through the cap forms quickly below layers of humid air in the atmosphere that are invisible but are compressed by the rising air and form the disks and pileus layers that you can see. It's a fair indication of severe weather, especially as it pushed further up into the atmosphere with the cell reaching cumulonimbus incus (anvil) stage, thunderstorm.

I found this really interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you have some background on the great captures you've acquired.

Thanks, I have a keen interest in the weather, more than happy to explain what is happening in the images.

Thanks also to everyone for the comments.

Regards,
Chris.

Fantastic shots! 2 is my favorite.

Thanks again all for the feedback. AP, that's the beauty of a wide angle lens, was able to capture the anvil of the storm.

1 and 3 are my favorites with 3 being the best.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Lost for words! These images is damn stunning! I was really amazed in storm images especially tornadoes or lightning. Cool stuffs! Keep on posting! =)

From a fellow weather enthusiast these are great! 1, 2, and 3 especially are great! I've only seen lenticular clouds like in first photo once in my life, but sadly it was before I was into photography. Awesome capture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back