Storm Images from Australia.

#1 is so cool, thunderheads and lenticulars together! Wish I had been there to see it.

3 & 5 are my favorite. They are all beautiful.. wow.. the clouds. Makes me want marshmallows now... darn it.

1,2,3 are fantastic. I am new to DSLR. I have couple questions regarding the #1.
Did you use TV mode or manual?
This is at low light condition. What makes you use low ISO? I thought low iso would make it darker. This pic doesn't look underexposure at all.
Choose f5.6 because you don't need much DOF when you zoomed in at 100mm, right?
What about the white balance?

What setting did you use for #3?

#3 is one of my favorite storm shots I've seen in a while, all are terrific shots. Great work.

Thanks again all for the comments.

1,2,3 are fantastic. I am new to DSLR. I have couple questions regarding the #1.
Thanks, happy to explain.

Did you use TV mode or manual?

I use AV mode. I set the aperture and I let the camera decide shutter speed taking an evaluative light reading of the entire scene. I always use a tripod and shutter release cable as in nearly all low light situations and low ISO the shutter speed will be longer and the there is the risk of camera shake if you attempt hand hold.

This is at low light condition. What makes you use low ISO? I thought low iso would make it darker. This pic doesn't look underexposure at all.

I use the lowest ISO possible to reduce the risk of noise. I have a canon 40D and I do get noise at higher ISO in low light situations.

Choose f5.6 because you don't need much DOF when you zoomed in at 100mm, right?

The 100mm macro lens I use is a prime lens fixed at 100mm. 5.6 certainly allows a lot more light in however I do use hyperfocal in all situations to achieve infinity focus.

What about the white balance?

Auto white balance

What setting did you use for #3?

#3 was captured in bulb mode. The full moon to my left lit the top of the storm anvil, plus the flank line feeding the storm. The exposure was approx 30 seconds, enough time for the moon to light up the scene and also wait for a flash from the clouds. ISO was as low as I could go 100, aperture f5.6, infinity focus 17-40mm f4l wide angle lens.

woow the first 3 are really freakin amazing, nice job

Most reactions

Back