Stranded Boat

hyakuhei

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hyakuhei.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I snapped a few shots of this small fishing vessle, abandoned on Morcombe Bay in the UK.

This image was taken with my camera phone and then played with. I considered some cheesey B&W + Colour highlights but decided against it.

I'm not totally happy with the picture, perhaps some darkening of the sky coupled with a boost in contrast?

574741065_92864e3058_o_d.jpg

Cheers

I think this a very good oppotunity to take a few great shots and I would go back with a "real" camera and re-do the shots.

I think the tones are a bit bland and a lot of texture and detail are lots due to the camera used.

I agree, sadly this is about 300 miles from where I normally live and 1200 miles from where I am at the moment.

I chose to convert to black and white because although the colours on the boat mixed well with the rust, the brightness just washed out all of the colour in the picture.

Please critique away!

Looks like you've done as well as can be expected. I think you're right about the sky, but I'd leave the boat as is. Nice shot tho.

Hah, erm, what is the best way for me to select the sky? Any tricks aside of the magic wand and then various touchups?

If you have CS3 it has a new smart selection tool that is really killer. If you have CS or CS2, you can use the magic wand tool. If you are using other programs, you are going to have to lasso it.
Cool shot though.

Ah, I'm using gimp which for the most part you can equate to CS1/CS2 with some nice bits annoyingly missing.

elsaspet said:
Cool shot though.

Thanks!

I like the composition, too bad you only had the camera phone...
Once you made your selections, play with the levels of the boat, and perhaps do a high pass sharpening overlay layer to the ship.

Either way, nice shot

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments, I have to admit, the composition is down to a crop rather than done at the time I took the picture. The main reason for that being that when I took the picture, I had no idea what "composition" was! :-D

when was it taken? it looks like it was taken in the early 1900s

It was taken with an early 1900's cell phone.

Yeah, my plate-camera-phone is awesome, a little on the heavy side for making calls but takes some nice pictures!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back