Strange finish on a Profesional Print

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Synergy, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Synergy

Synergy TPF Noob!

Hi There,

I was given a print of my 1 year old nephew the other day taken by a local studio, being critical of this type of thing, I noticed that the print had a strange sort of pixelation effect, similar to a photograph in a newspaper, but a lot finer. This pixelation detracts from the overall picture, which I think is a shame, however I looked back at other professional pics I have and noticed that some others had this type of “finish” Is this a reflection of the quality of the paper used? Or simply how the majority of professional prints are finished?

Many thanks

Synergy

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Without seeing the print it's hard to say. Is it a paper surface texture? Then it's some sort of matte or fine art paper with a textured surface. Is it part of the image itself? Then it's probably someone who's made the switch to digital prints, but is still on their way up the learning curve.

3. Synergy

Synergy TPF Noob!

A long established studio near to my brother produced it, the finish is not a texture, like gloss or matt, but rather part of the image, like the pixels have gaps in between them! When you hold the picture away from you, everything looks fine. Look closer and it’s like you see tiny gaps between each pixels or groups of pixels. I was going to post it but it’s copyrighted so can’t, mind you I suppose I could post a zoomed in section of a tiny bit, when I get back home in a couple of hours I’ll do that..

Cheers

4. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It sounds like a really early dye sublimation type print. Or even an Early sony dye print. Not the best quality. It's also possible there were small singularities or holes in the time space continuum when the picture was snapped. Dunno... :)