Strange gift from an African man.

AmberAtLoveAndInk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.loveandinkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've googled my heart out and nothing has come up to answer anything for me and since I know many of you are world wide travelers I have a weird tale I'd like to get sorted if anyone has any answers for me.

So, my husband and I just returned from Italy and while in Rome we were picked off as tourists immediately and had every single street salesman pitching this and that at us, from umbrellas to scarves to odd little trinkets and toys. We refused them all, including a young African man trying to sell us wooden carved fruit bowls. Any other time I would have thought they were wonderful and probably would've choked up the cash since they were by far the most authentic looking street goods these peddlers were offering. but... we were going to be late for a dinner reservation and I was very wary of him, seemed a little shady to me. Plus he was full blown African and with all of the stuff going on in the news right now I really didn't want to be around him(I know that's terrible, but I have a 2 yr old to come to, can't be more careful) well, he continued to walk along side us with his goods in arms and tried to pick up a conversation, asking where we were from and commenting how he longs to go to America, that he watches the rodeos on tv and loves cowboys. He asks my husband if "he rides the bulls." At this point we figure he's keeping up for the sale so we say thanks but no thanks. He then pulls his arm in front of my husband to stop him and says, "Here, for you it's a gift. For the Big Boy." (my husband is an avid weight trainer and body builds) he placed a wood carved elephant sitting with it's trunk up in my husbands hand. We try to refuse and he says, "No, really it's a gift. No money."

Now this could be coincidence but the next day my husband said he was feeling funny and continued to feel worse for 2 days. The last day of his "sickness" we just sat in the hotel because his stomach was bothering him so bad. We chalked it up to bad seafood and the next day he felt fine and was back to normal. He is still normal and we had gotten check-ups promptly after arriving home to be on the safe side. Now here's the kicker-

We can't find the elephant in any of our bags. We had set aside a small duffle to bring back souvenirs for the family and pasta and spices for our kitchen. I distinctly remember my husband placing the elephant in the small zipper pouch inside that bag. We have searched through our luggage and clothes and nothing. It's gone. This would probably be normal for someone to lose something in another country while traveling but my husband is meticulous about keeping organized.

So the question portion:

Does anyone know what it means to be given an elephant as a gift from a stranger? Is there any African folk lore you know about? Was this a bad omen or a "bad luck gift" given to us for refusing to buy anything from him? Or do you think this was sincere and my husband ate bad seafood and we misplaced the elephant? I know this is sounding so crazy but this is "off-topic chats" and if anything this story will hopefully entertain some of you.

I doubt it would be any kind of bad luck since elephants are greatly revered in most places, especially Africa/Asia. I'm a "practicing" skeptic so I'd say it was most likely not related to your husbands sickness. Stomach issues happen often when traveling, it doesn't take much when you're not in your homeland and you're being exposed to new bacteria and such. As for losing it, things happen. My girlfriend and I are both exceptionally neat and we have lost a couple small charms while traveling. Too much packing/unpacking to not take a loss once in a while.

The facts of the case are probably good poisoning and a misplaced object.

The story should be something different though. An illness detected and staved off with a week placed bit of magic seems about right to me.

Was he just black or actually from Africa? Either way it is a bit offense to assume that he put a curse on you husband just because he is "African".

Anyways when visiting third world countries like Italy you need to mindful that their sanitation levels are not like they are here. Also the human body gets used to the stimulus that comes from a given area. When traveling you come into contact with new bacteria, pollen, germs etc.. so you tend to get sicker easier.

you have ebola.

He then pulls his arm in front of my husband to stop him and says, "Here, for you it's a gift. For the Big Boy." (my husband is an avid weight trainer and body builds) he placed a wood carved elephant sitting with it's trunk up in my husbands hand. We try to refuse and he says, "No, really it's a gift. No money."
It's a good luck charm for your husbands "big boy".

Was he exceptionally good that night? :boogie:

Are you really coming on to the internets and asking strangers if the scary black man vexed your husband and made him sick with a Hoodoo Elephant curse for not buying his crap??

Priceless.

I love the interwebz.

We all know that a Voodoo Omen from a shady FULL BLOWN African peddler, and the loss of the bad luck elephant are more likely the cause of your husbands illness. Food poisoning or a little bug does not happen very often when travelling to foreign countries.

Last edited:
Is it possible that your husband thought of the same thing and disposed of the item..Maybe he isn't telling you because he doesn't want to come off as superstitious to you.. Just a thought!

As to the carving gone missing, I quite naturally assume it was the TSA that copped it.

Just look around for a TSA agent feeling poorly.

Is it possible that your husband thought of the same thing and disposed of the item..Maybe he isn't telling you because he doesn't want to come off as superstitious to you.. Just a thought!

I think it's more lkely that the elephant ran back to the owner after planting its Demon Seed into her husband.

I'm afraid the stomach bug is likely just the beginning.

Ever heard of Anneliese Michel? Legend has it she was given a wooden Elephant by a Scary Black African man before the unplesantness.

I will ask my coworker who is an old white guy with a long beard if he knows any spells to help you out.

Most reactions

Back