Strap Alternatives

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JLEphoto, Dec 4, 2009.

1. JLEphoto

JLEphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I tend to have neck issues and I do carry a D200 with added battery grip. The camera alone is pretty heave. What "good" alternatives are out there for staps. Are there any 3 point straps (similar to an AR15 sling)? I have seen a few but it seems that they attach to the tripod adapter. I use a Tri-pod for 90% of my work so that is not an option. What do you use and do you have a link where I could check it out? Thanks in advnace for the help.

2. CWN

CWN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Might sound weird, but lately I've been going without anything and love it... Otherwise I use a hand strap, doesn't get in the way and it's very comfortable to walk around with.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A friend of mine has been using a chest harness. He said it's something normally used by bird watchers to carry binoculars.

4. Eco

Eco TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Setup and Tips ยป BlackRapid.com Watch the video. I use their RS-5 strap and even with my 70-200 on my D90 I can walk around for hours with no strain on my shoulders and it does not touch my neck.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  6. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +1 on the R-Strap. It works very well.

7. JLEphoto

JLEphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How can you use the r-strap with a tripod? You would have to take the adapter off every time.... And that is only if it attaches to the tripod plate.

8. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    People make a big deal about that and I just don't get it. The R-Strap is designed to provide QUICK access to your camera and to allow you to carry it comfortably. If you have one body on a monopod and another on the R-strap with a wide angle lens, you can pop that camera up at a sports event to pop a quick shot and then drop it to go right back to your large lens on the monopod. All the time, you will barely notice the weight of the camera on the R-Strap.

If you are going somewhere to use a tripod, I doubt speed is an issue. Taking the connector off takes about 2 - 3 seconds. If that's too much work, I don't get it. When I go to the studio, I just remove the R-Strap and add a hand strap for the day. I use that and a tripod when needed.

Like I said, people make a big deal out of having to remove the connector on the R-Strap to use a tripod. I just think its about planning and management. Maybe lazy too..

9. Eco

Eco TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    R-Photographers - Powered by vBulletin I know it's been discussed on their forum but since I'm not bothered by spending a few seconds putting on my tripod plate I have yet to research it.

Out of interest, do you normally walk with your camera on a tripod? Or does whatever you shoot with a tripod require a really quick set up time?

10. JLEphoto

JLEphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly, if I am using a tripod I don't need the strap. Even when I am out in the field I just fold up the tripod and carry it around on my shoulder (camera attached). I never really thought about it that way Cx3....but for the record... I am nowhere near lazy! This is also the first time I have seen the product and I ask the question before I really thought about the answer. Sorry to have gotten your blood pressure up.

Now, if it will attach to the bottom of my tripod plate then it would be simple to remove each time I used the tripod. If not...well it would just be really annoying to have to put the plate on each time. I am willing to do even this if it gets the camera off my neck. Thanks for the help and pointing out the obvious!!

11. JLEphoto

JLEphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some good ideas on the forum Eco... If I must have both ready within seconds then I just need to buy another QR that fits my plates. Great idea... a little costly but hey, this is photography after all.

12. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No Blood pressure issues here. I did not direct my statement at you . I said people make a big deal out of removing the connector. That implies lots of other people. I was saying that people that make a big deal out of taking the connector off might just be lazy. You were asking a question, not making a big deal out of the removal.

Cool?

And yes, you can connect it directly to your tripod plate if you want.