Strap / Sling for older heavy Canon SLR

kingbuzzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a canon tx that I had cleaned up and enjoy playing with quite a bit. I know that the new thing now are camera slings for DSLRS. I've even though of making my own. But I see that many of these slings are connected with a plastic buckle. I know my camera is heavy and I don't want to see it go flying to the sidewalk when the buckle gives way. I also see that with the DSLR that the straps are often connected by the corner of the camera, others the bottom. Is this not possible / prudent with an older heavy SLR? Any experience with this? Should I be sticking to the the classic strap method of the camera corners on this one?

Thanks for the help,

Don

I'm more worried about the weight of the older heavy SLR on just one of the strap corners or the bottom tripod mount.

I've seen 5D Markiii gripped with a 70-200mm f/2.8 attached to a BR with no issues. I've carried a gripped T3i with a 70-200mm f/2.8 attached to the bottom with no issues. I don't see that a SLR would be that much different. If you screw into the tripod mount, the camera should be secure. As for the buckle, it si sturdy and I don't see it just letting go from the weight or pulling on it. Eventually, the plastic will get brittle and possibly break but that wouldn't be for years, I would imagine.

I'll second the suggestion for black rapid. I have a sport strap and love it.

Best,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more worried about the weight of the older heavy SLR on just one of the strap corners or the bottom tripod mount.

Well unless the camera weighs several hundred pounds I doubt it would be an issue, but if you need some extra security:

BlackRapid Tether Kit for BlackRapid Camera System RAA1C-1A0 B&H

I use a black rapid RS-5 cargo myself, with a gripped D5100 and a 70-200 mm F/2.8 Lens, never had an issue. Works like a charm.

Cool cool. I ordered a used op/tech super classic from fleabay. If it enough support for limited use I'll trade up. I'm still on a tight budget and I guess I didn't mention that. Thanks for all the help! Looking forward using this forum more as I dive back into photography.

Ive got an old Canon T-70 and the strap is very similar to the one that came with my EOS. Plastic tabs. Its fine, even though its a good 3x heavier.

Cool cool. I ordered a used op/tech super classic from fleabay. If it enough support for limited use I'll trade up. I'm still on a tight budget and I guess I didn't mention that. Thanks for all the help! Looking forward using this forum more as I dive back into photography.

How much did you pay? If your on a budget, look used. I used to get old film EOS and T bodies off Ebay, working, for ~ £10-£15 a pop, these came with official Canon straps 80% of the time (And once a nice lowepro bag!).

Just make sure you put the strap on right (The diagram is confusing!)

Most reactions

Back