Straws...

barfastic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, i cant remember where but i saw a picture some guy took of straws, and i thought it would be a nice subject matter to try out. I do not want to take credit for the idea, as it was not mine, but i would like some C+C and tell me what you think...

Basically i had put my off camera flash behind the straws and shot at a whole bunch of speeds, apertures, flash strengths, diffused, spot.

All shots were taken with my Tamron 90mm Di Macro lens, and a Sony a350.

3906573980_eb860cb2a2_b.jpg

Exif Data
f/2.8
iso 100
1/500th seconds

3906573986_fca08cf1f4_b.jpg

Exif Data

f/8
iso 100
1/100 seconds

3906573996_febd6336e3_b.jpg

Exif Data
f/2.8
iso 100
0.6 seconds

3906574002_e8a4bfbcc0_b.jpg

Exif Data
f/8
iso 100
1/320 seconds

Ps. i know my straws arent really well cut... i bought about 200 straws for 1$ so that figures....

I like #1 the best. Center flash and shallow DOF yielded a cool effect and great image. I don't care so much for the others. #3 has potential but much of the image is underexposed.

I like #1, very nice image. Don't care for the other 3.

The first shot is pretty good, while the others seem like works in progress.
Those look like petty cheap straws--the tops are not even cut smoothly. I think the photos would look better if the straws appeared more symmetrical and properly made; all I n think of is that the straws were cheap, Chinese-made ones that were bought for a dollar for three hundred at the Dollar Store.

I think 1, 2 & 3 are great, for the reasons already mentioned. #4, at least on my monitor appears too blurry, down the legnth of the tubes (straws) and in my minds eyes, I'm just seeing the ends of the straws as "disks". Anyway, I usually don't offer critisism, the shots are what they are, and highly subjective. Maybe shot 4 turned out exactly the way you wanted. # 3 is just plain "trippy"..Love it.

All in all very unique, even, as you said, you didn't think of it first. Those shots are keepers.

J.:mrgreen:

i liked the idea aswell, and i hate the fact that the straws actually looked cheap... it really bugged me.... so im off to find more expensive, more vibrant straws tomorrow morning! wish me luck! hehe....

So i revisited the straws, with brighter colouored starws... here are 3 more for C+C... let me know what you think.

This time i situated the cluster of straws in my lightbox, to help get good + correct exposure...

3914149100_9e316dba37_b.jpg

EXIF
iso 100
90mm
1/800 seconds
f/5.6

3913106355_28b2ffa482_b.jpg

EXIF
iso100
90mm
1/400 seconds
f/2.8

3913889272_19660d80b9_b.jpg

EXIF
iso100
90mm
1/8 seconds
f/2.8

I like the play on fiber optics cool idea ;)

I was just on a website yesterday that used this same straw idea as a header image. I can't remember where it was for the life of me, though. I even told myself I should remember it and point it out in this thread...

haha.... duely noted then Goontz. Yeah, is aw it somewhere too, and was left in AWE.

Not a fan of the newer three images...still think the very first straw image is the best of the bunch.

Not a fan of the newer three images...still think the very first straw image is the best of the bunch.

I agree. Don't know what happened, but the second batch lost some of the surealism and mystique that 1, 2, & 3 of the first bunch..

J.:mrgreen:

I have to also agree. I like the first set, particularly the first 2, best. Good shots. :thumbup:

hmmm, ok... food for thought! im thinking of giving it one good last try over the next weekend (if i dont end up going to the UK) else, when i get back i have alot more free time on ym hands...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back