Street Photography - Homeless Man Story - C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BekahAura, Mar 11, 2010.

1. BekahAura

BekahAura TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I took these pictures last spring in Florida. I've always been interested in what other people try to ignore. These four pictures are kind of like a story line. People ignoring bum, bum portrait, guy gives bum money, bum folds up money.

I know you're not supposed to give homeless people money, but I thought it was nice and I was really happy to capture it. Although I wish I snapped the photo as the tourist was handing over the money instead of after... I was late. Anyway tell me what you think.

Also, are we allowed to post the same pictures in different forums? I found a long thread on street photography in the themed forum, but there isn't much C&C going on there so I came here first.

I took these before I decided to take photography more seriously, so my Nikon D50 was most likely on auto. But any criticism is appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bekah

2. kkamin

kkamin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the photos would have more impact if there were dense masses of people walking by him completely ignoring him. Or capturing someone nonchalantly throwing garbage away by his head. I sort of feel you are not saying much with the photos. Of course most people are going to pass by him and ignore him. It would be rather odd if many people were to stare at him or start conversations with him. He looks like he wants to be left alone and has no where else to go.

I don't know who I'm quoting, but a documentary photographer said something like, "Anyone can shoot derelicts in doorways but its another thing to learn about the subject and convey that through the photography."

So I think it would help if you really captured the idea that we don't take care of our own in a powerful, visual way. Or else get to know homeless people and try to show some insight into their condition. Right now it feels like a good start, but it has to dive head first in to some type of theme.

3. BekahAura

BekahAura TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    kkamin,

I actually did have one shot with a bunch of people and a couple dogs passing by him, but he was blurry and I focused on the passersby by accident, so I didn't include that one.

But what your saying makes me think I should have gotten right in front of him and gotten a perspective of the length of the road full of people. I think that would be interesting.

I was on vacation and being led around by friends, so I didn't really have the time to hang around. I probably could have done much better if I did my usual 400 shots per subject lol.

Your idea about waiting for someone to use the trash can is also very interesting. I have a feeling, however, that most people would just skip on to the next trash can in order to avoid him... but you never know.

Thanks for your advice.

Bekah

4. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the angle of number 1 with the distance of number 2. I want to see his face, but with enough angle to show what he's leaning on, a trashcan. That would be a great emotional shot IMO.

And maybe slip him a burger for his time. A mutual favor of sorts.

5. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that was his point. It's something most people would actively go out of their way to avoid, so getting a shot of someone actually doing it would have a lot of impact. I understand you were on vacation and friends were dragging you around, but remember, photography doesn't just happen. I've sat around outside in right around freezing weather for hours on end before just to wait for the right conditions, and get one shot. I'm not saying you should have waited by the guy for hours, but if you're looking for something with meaning and impact, you might have to wait for just the right moment.

6. webmaster705

webmaster705 TPF Noob!

Second one is better then others, try to focus your lense you just need to be more attentive, looking forward to see good in future:d

7. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The other extreme of waiting for the right shot, is to approach the man, explain what you are trying to do and wait for his reaction.

The only problem with that, is you have no idea what his reaction could be...

Although he may be homeless, the setting is too clean and does not add to the mood you are driving at. The lighting could also be worked on, as this almost looks like someone plunked down so you could try to get shots.

I do not believe these shots work at all.But...you have broken the ice and now have a starting point. Good luck and if you decide to keep at this subject, please show us your growth.

8. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    That's what I thought immediately as well.
    I'll add, your distance from the subject conveys to me that you didn't want to get closer to the subject either. These look more like touristy "look at the homeless guy" snaps, rather than really engaging images that make the viewer think.

9. thomas.corbett

thomas.corbett TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea it would have been better to have some one handing the money, but the shot is a little clean, and could use more passer bys.