street photography (kind of..)

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by zandman, Jun 8, 2009.

1. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    shot with tri x 400 in nikon f2a.

c&c welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for looking.

2. DSPhotography

DSPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the contrast of that film (namely in the first and third photos). I'm very biased towards Ilford Delta (100 ISO) but I may have to try a couple rolls of that if I feel the need to shoot at 400 ISO.

Oh and numbers 1, 3 & 4 are my favourites. Great composition, great contrast (though the sky in #4 is a little bright IMO) and excellent tones.

Were these scanned from negatives or prints? And were any filters used?

3. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use kodak tri x and ilford hp5, they have the same process of developing.
    they said its a newbie film but i like it.

thanks. my meter isn't working, i've thought of doing double exposure on blown out sky but eh, i haven't tried it before really and i dont know if i can pull it out smoothly.

i used red filter on some of the image, i can't remember which ones.
    and negatives were scanned and edited with photoshop.
    like i stated, my meter is not working so my metering happens to my eyes. i always make the image overexposed for it to be easier to fix in the dark room.
    thats why i need to edit them in photoshop. did some curves to bring the darker dark, lighter light and midtone.
    its really hard to work on a camera with a broken meter especially if you haven't mastered ur camera. but it really helps me. like they always say, "ur eyes are the best meter you can use."

thanks.

4. DSPhotography

DSPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can definitely understand the pain of a non-working meter. I've got an analog Sekonic meter that I use more so for portraits as a back-up to the built-in meter on my N75's (nice to see another Nikon user, btw), but I imagine it'd come in handy if the built-in ever went pfft.

I've never heard HP5 called a "newbie" film. I've shot it a few times and have never liked the results. It's contrast is too "punchy" to me, which is why I've been hesitant to try the FP4, which is a 125 speed HP5. That's why I switched to the Delta 100. Nice deep blacks, and wonderful midrange that gives a nice tonal range all the way into the white. I'm gonna check out the Tri-X though as I'm always looking to try different film (that's one of the fun parts of shooting film IMO). I recently picked up a roll of Efke ISO 25 and a roll of Fuji Neopan ISO 1600 (that I'm going to shoot at 800 or even 400). Have you tried the Ilford Pan F before? The only person I've talked to that's used it said he didn't like the results but said it was because he pulled it down to a 6 (crazy, I know).. I'd like to know how it is as a 50 ISO.

5. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i've only used those two, and some cheap "not so b&w film", the fake ones before i learn how to develope films.

i usually use hp5 to push develop, but most of the time, when i use film camera, i go tri x.
    try t-maxx too, its a pro level film i think. comes in 400 and 100 speed.

they have this arista premium film, its like a repacked tri x and its cheaper. (seen it in the film thread in the forum back then.)
    haven't tried it myself though.

yea i shoot nikon since i started, i did it backwards. started with digital then went film, just thought films gives more dramatic results than digital.
    and digital photography is overrated imo..
    when i use my digital, most of the time i dont really think of the setting that will suit the scene, but with film, i analyze everything first, the condition, light direction, if the subject will look nice in b&w etc.

i'll try the pan f, (i'm sure not anytime soon, i'm a really busy kid lol) i'll let you know bout the results.