Street Photography.

Hey Whistule, nice to see more people from around these parts. Next time i'm going up to Glasgow i'll let you know, even if it is just for a coffee and a wee chat! Might head in tomorrow if it's a generally nice day.

Well i tried a film in the FED-4 and about 1/4 the way through the film had snapped. It got wrapped around the toothed wheel eventually as well. I think it was something to do with the take-up reel being a bit out of centre or something - but i've given up on it.

Comparing the two cameras the SLR is actually smaller and lighter apart from the length of the lens, if i had a 35mm or 50mm lens on it i'm sure there would be not much in it at all. The SLR fits and feels better in the hand too. The FED is a little quieter especially as it doesn't automatically advance frames but i think i'll get a prime lens as mentioned and use the SLR regardless of noise (until i can afford a Leica that is).

One other thing i'd be interested in is your technique and what works for you.

What sort of clothing do you wear?
What camera do you use?
How do you carry your camera?
Any decoys?

I was thinking about this and i decided to dress casual, you know, even combat style trousers etc (not-camo lol), just casual but not particularly serious looking. Another thing i was thinking about as i'll be using the FED-4 is perhaps slinging the SLR over my shoulder, people are likely to notice that more than what's in my hands and give me that extra time to get the candid.. not sure if this would work though or whether it'd be a burden but again it gives me a back up and a fail-safe for tricky light etc. Whether to take my monopod with me which could again distract from what's in my hands and a little more versatility, or would i then look a bit photojournalistic (i made that word up).

So what's your techniques?

Assuming this is for moi ...

I dress as if I was still working for a newspaper ...
long pants
shoes (not sandals)
shirt w/sleeves
Something neat and clean (no holes)

I use two cameras, one around the neck, one around my shoulder and a camera bag (Domke of course). The old B&W's were taken in a pre-digital age with motor driven Nikons and a few snapped with a Hasselblad. Now I shoot Canon.

Then I walk at a purposeful pace. I don't hang around (unless I am "stalking" an image). I don't try to hide, but act as if I belong in the scene ... I am as much an integral part of the street as the ice cream vendor ... I disappear by blending in. Then I walk and shoot, walk and shoot. Rarely do I engage with a subject, as that usually creates a less-than-candid image. I will interact with those around me and the subject after, but that is on a catch-as-catch-can basis. Sometimes I ignore people and others I will converse, sometimes I'll give them a business card with my web site ... that sixth sense dictates the course I take. When people harass me I just keep on walking (after I get "the shot").

Here's a guy who actually tried to grab my camera:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/2334019_7D6Uw#122132407_ggUeC

Go to tourist spots which have outdoor entertainment. People are used to cameras and feel less exploited when photographed ... hence less prone to harass you ... which will help to thicken your skin skin ... then venture into a real street.

Gary

I've been wondering about taking pictures in public as well. I really want to go to the next military parade and take some pictures, but I'm too scared. I don't want people to get angry with me. :) It's getting a bit tiresome, taking pictures of my dogs. They are great subjects but there's only so much expression you can capture on a dog's face and through their body language :p

Thanks for the advice here, guys! :)

I've been wondering about taking pictures in public as well. I really want to go to the next military parade and take some pictures, but I'm too scared. I don't want people to get angry with me. :)

People do get angry for many reasons, and few of them do get angry for no reason at all. At the public event like you mentioned above people are focused to something, and cameras are part of the crowd. People know that those with cameras will take pictures somehow or the other. Just don't pin an individual right on their nose, than you be fine.

Here is the examples of how close I took the pictures from the subjects at easter show last march. Do you think they even notice me standing there less than a meter from the nearest guy to take the shot? They were focused with their own interest I was busy with my interest.
Than I turned around 180 degrees and shot the next stall. Same story.
Both use ISO 800, f6.3. The 1st one with 1/50 SS and the 2nd is 1/25 SS.

Anyway have fun at the next next military parade.

sp1jpg.jpg

sp2jpg.jpg

A thought I had today - You don't necisarily have to be pointing the camera at people to photograph them - Look for reflections (Or refractions if you want to get technical) if you're not comfortable pointing directly at people...

This is the shot that made me think of this :) Taken today... It's a yellowy/orange glass ball, so looks pretty ordinary in colour. It wasn't until I converted to B&W that I started to like it...

IMGP6031.jpg

lol nice ideas!

As for something else going on, like the drama act, or a funfair i'd have no problems with, it's just random shots that seem a bit awkward.

Couldn't be bothered going out today, maybe next weekend.

Ok, so I had to post my success. I finally did it! I just started shooting, up close and personal. Admittedly I was nervous so my shots weren't all to awesome as I wasn't focusing on my captures but I still did it. Got yelled at too! Guy came up to me and told me it was illegal to take photos of people, and I replied that it wasn't if people are in public. He walked away murmuring it was still rude. I fealt like Thomas Hawk!

Anyways, here is proof:
2515285041_d27cacfd58.jpg

Nice work, Jerome. Nice to hear you're getting 'into' it, look forward to seeing your progression so to speak.

I guess the trick is.. just go and do it! eh?..

All this talk of alcohol! lol

Went out today with the FED but only got half of a roll due to the thing tearing up my film.. forgot to take my changing bag! doh!

Scanning the ones i managed to save just now so i'll post them soon.

Felt better today, i guess the confidence comes the more you go out. I was taking pics with relative ease, with people knowing i was taking their photograph.. other times i couldn't get one off lol.. oh well.. will post results soon.

Gary's right, Jerome. The more you shoot, the more confidence you will gain. Don't worry if someone yells at you or gives you the evil eye. This guy never said a word to me, but watched me with great interest as I crossed the intersection and made my way down the street.

This was shot with a Contax G1 and 35mm lens.

81426454.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back