Street Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DeepSpring, Jul 23, 2006.

1. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Does anyone have any tips? I have a Canon Rebel k2 with a 28-90mm lens with a lowest f-stop of 4.

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Street photography comes alive when you train your eye to single out a composition that has something to say from amid the busy goings-on all about you. It has little to do with your equipment. Observe carefully the work of Cartier-Bresson. Note that much of his photographic work was done with a 'standard' lens in 35mm B&W.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important." -Henri Cartier-Bresson

4. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    As far as equipment goes, street photography, by its very nature, includes many ephemeral opportunities. Forget tripods and stuffed gadget bags full of little goodies. It comes down to just you and a camera. Set up your camera so that you'll have a minimum of fussing around with settings. Learn to be inconspicuous [or carry a pad of model releases . . .].

Lighting is important. Bright, sunny days lead to contrasty prints and deep shadows. That can be a problem. Eliminate it by choosing hazy or cloudy days. The range of fl's of your camera are more than sufficient, as is the maximum speed. The rest is a matter of training your eye to see.

Street photography at its best is high adventure. There are truly great pictures out there. Your job is to find them. Enjoy the thrill of the chase.