strobe and umbrella for Nikon N80

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by hankhead, Mar 20, 2004.

1. hankhead

hankhead TPF Noob!

I am an illustrator and shoot models only in B&W for reference prints.
    I bought a Nikon N80 and now want to set up a strobe and umbrella for shooting. What should I buy to work with the Nikon N80 and does this camera have this capabilitly? I know very little about photography equipment. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. TheProf

TheProf TPF Noob!

If you just need to light a subject and you dont know alot about photography, I would just go with a TOTA light. If you get strobes then youll have to buy a meter (not cheep) A Tota light is what they call a Hot light basically just a bright light, it is yellow in color but if your doing b/w it wont matter.

If you still want a strobe I would buy a self contained head (easier) and youll probably want to get at least 2 heads and 2 umbrella or softboxes. As far as brand ....whats your budget there are a lot out there.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with TheProf. You can get a basic hot-light setup for a decent price.

Click on the Adorama link below and search for "SVKT400".

Here's an inexpensive two-light kit from B&H.

I have something similar I picked up locally. Strobes will blow these away, but they are a lot more expensive and you won't see better results until you know how to use lights. These are a great way to learn.