Strobe kit or Vivitar 285HV

With the Vivitar(s) you're portable and can shoot as long as the batteries hold out.

With the Smith Victor lights you can only get as far away from an outlet as the cord lets you get and at only 6 foot tall the light stands are to short, you want at least 8 foot light stands.

Light stands are about $40 each, umbrellas $20 each and umbrella brackets are about $15 each.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475575-REG/Impact__Digital_Flash_Umbrella_Mount.html

Last edited:
With the Vivitar(s) you're portable and can shoot as long as the batteries hold out.

With the Smith Victor lights you can only get as far away from an outlet as the cord lets you get and at only 6 foot tall the light stands are to short, you want at least 8 foot light stands.

Light stands are about $40 each, umbrellas $20 each and umbrella brackets are about $15 each.

Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | B&H Photo Video

are vivitars slave? i dont have any wireless transmitters yet and want some but pocket wizards are too costly

MPEX.com's webpage should give you some ideas....

MPEX Strobist Kits

No... Vivitars are not wireless. Cactus triggers are a cheaper alternative with limitations. You can even go cheaper with optical triggers but with even more limitations.

are vivitars slave? i dont have any wireless transmitters yet and want some but pocket wizards are too costly
No problem!

A radio transmitter and 2 receivers are just $50 including shipping:

ISHOOT PT-04 C Strobe & Flash Trigger PT04?2 Receivers - eBay (item 280349165783 end time Mar-18-10 22:26:50 PDT)

If you browse their eBay store you might find a the transmitter and 3 receivers set for the same price.

There is another popular inexpensive brand at www.gadgetinfinity.com (V2, V2s, V4) and I think MPEX.com stocks those.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No problem!

A radio transmitter and 2 receivers are just $50 including shipping:

ISHOOT PT-04 C Strobe & Flash Trigger PT04?2 Receivers - eBay (item 280349165783 end time Mar-18-10 22:26:50 PDT)

If you browse their eBay store you might find a the transmitter and 3 receivers set for the same price.

Yea, I'm thinking about going with a cheap wireless. Why does everyone go with pocketwizard though? Are pocketwizards better or is it just a name brand kind of thing?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Most photographers consider pocket wizards the professional standard. They are presumably the most reliable brand on the market. If you are taking flash photos on someone else's dime and you absolutely need 100% reliability so as not to miss a key photo I would suggest high quality gear, but I think my cheap ebay radio triggers and off brand flashes work just fine for learning and personal use.

Most photographers consider pocket wizards the professional standard. They are presumably the most reliable brand on the market. If you are taking flash photos on someone else's dime and you absolutely need 100% reliability so as not to miss a key photo I would suggest high quality gear, but I think my cheap ebay radio triggers and off brand flashes work just fine for learning and personal use.

other person dime= parents =)

other person dime= parents =)

Sorry, what I actually meant was if you are getting paid to take pictures and you don't want to take the chance of missing a key shot (just for example: the kiss at a wedding) because your wireless triggers failed to fire the flash when you needed them to.

Most reactions

Back