strobe noob

noob873

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I feel its time for me to look into getting strobes, especially since I've been doing more and more portraits. But I dont know where to start looking or what to get, I dont want to spend a crazy amount, but dont want to go cheap either. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start looking (suggestions on companies/different models and stuff)

Thanks

If anyone else is looking at this for an idea of where to start with strobes go to the Link list above they are the pros in lighting of all sorts and love to answers followers qustions

There is also the flickr Strobist group that just hit the 3 year mar recently.

Flickr: Strobist.com

They are associated with the strobist.com blog.

A lot of this question depends on you and your lighting style and of course your budget. Will you be shooting with 2 or 16 lights? Are you looking for something portable or a studio only set up? On one hand you can buy a couple of SB 800's and call it good. On the other you can drop 2 grand + on a Speedotron set up. The possibilities are limitless. Spill some details and we can help further.

Love & Bass

The concepts taught at the strobist site are 100% viable to a single strobe or to 25 Profoto heads in 25 softboxes. Light control is light control. Also... I doubt a self-pronounced "strobe noob" would have 16 light sources. :) At this point, I am willing to put money down that that the person doesn't know exactly what they want. It took me a little time to know what I wanted before I got the basics down too.

Learning to walk before running is always a good idea. ;) :D

According to your sig, you already have 2 sb600's so how about a couple umbrellas and triggers to start with? Or are you looking into studio strobes?

We need more info. Are you wanting studio stobes or are you wanting to use your current Nikon flashes? Two different worlds. Yes, both are lighting, but both have their place. Need more info....

A lot of this question depends on you and your lighting style and of course your budget. Will you be shooting with 2 or 16 lights? Are you looking for something portable or a studio only set up? On one hand you can buy a couple of SB 800's and call it good. On the other you can drop 2 grand + on a Speedotron set up. The possibilities are limitless. Spill some details and we can help further.

Love & Bass

Im looking to get a studio style kit with a 2 strobe set up. Im willing to spend a fair amount since I dont want to go cheap, but dont want to go over the top with professional gear I dont necessarily need as well. I cant really say exactly how much I want to spend since Im not sure how much a mid range kit would cost, but Im guessing Id spend in the $1500 range, correct me if Im wrong because I probably am. :p I just don't know where to start looking in terms of reliable brands/different models and stuff.

We need more info. Are you wanting studio stobes or are you wanting to use your current Nikon flashes? Two different worlds. Yes, both are lighting, but both have their place. Need more info....

I've been working with my nikon flashes but want to step into studio lighting and such. Like I said, dont mind spending some money if I have to since I dont want to go cheap.

Sorry, should've specified between studio lighting style and the more portable route.

Speedotron, Elinchrome, Calumet, Profoto are top names in the field. White Lightning is also credible and very reasonably priced. The Alien Bees (made by White Lightning?) are all the rage these days. Can not vouch for them because I do not know any one that owns them.

Personally I feel that buying lighting gear is right up there with buying a good lens. You do not want to skimp on quality. I have owned and or worked with Speedotron strobes for many years. They do not break. Unless of course you knock them face first into the concrete from 6' feet high. Just had to replace the flashtube. Other then that you are good. I dropped the heads numerous times and they still worked. The other big names are equally durable and reliable.

$1,500 is a good starting price. If you are a gambling man check out EBay. Personally I would make life easy and just buy new. Do a lot of research and ask questions along the way.

Check out Model Mayhem thread. ModelMayhem.com - Lighting, Flash, Ring, & Battery Strobe Reference

Love & Bass

Elinchrom makes a great starter kit that will last you well into your advanced days. I was looking at the DLite-4s but settled on a change of direction and decided to go the 1 big light several small light route. For me that is why my current needs dictate.

Do a search all around for the DLite-4 kit... the current best deal is $740 from Calumet. This is less than what I plan to spend for that 1 single head! Of course, always shop around, you may find a better price.

I do not like anything from Alien Bee. They have WB issues. Colour of the light changes as you drop power under 1/2 which can cause major issues. In a 2 light setup, if one light is set to 3/4 and the 2nd light set to 1/4 for fill, your pic will have one side a lot pinker than the other, and there is nothing you can easily do to fix this. Adjusting WB in ACR makes one side look to green to balance out the pink side. I decided to avoid ABs like the plague and go for Photogenic (a company that has been around for over 100 years!). Elinchrom are also a VERY good company as are Bronfcolor and Profoto (the last 2 are really top of the heap in the industry and are $$$$$).

Do you have any experience with JTL? The local shop had a 600 ws JTL kit (dont know the exact name of the kit since Im currently out of town) for like $750, but I dont know if those are good quality lights that will last me a good while.

For what its worth, I am not finding color temperature issues with my Alienbees 4 light setup. I have only had them a week, but putting them through the paces, and varying power levels, etc I have not found any major issues. Most folks that have them are pretty happy from what I gather and the customer service is second to none. I bet if you are not happy with them, they would take them back no problem. Darn near any strobe is going to have some degree of color temp change at different levels. The higher end most expensive strobes are the best at controlling this issue.

For what its worth, I am not finding color temperature issues with my Alienbees 4 light setup. I have only had them a week, but putting them through the paces, and varying power levels, etc I have not found any major issues. Most folks that have them are pretty happy from what I gather and the customer service is second to none. I bet if you are not happy with them, they would take them back no problem. Darn near any strobe is going to have some degree of color temp change at different levels. The higher end most expensive strobes are the best at controlling this issue.
I've not found this to be true either. This is one of the things I tested right after getting mine, and unless I'm blind I'm just not seeing the temperature changes. If it's there, my amateur eye is totally missing it.

Exmaple:

506712109_Jc8VE-L.jpg

Shot with two AB800's, the left one at 1/2 power and the other at full power. Both of the arms look to be the same shade of pink to me. I've not found any circumstance that I can create where I get different warmth that can be seen with the naked eye.

Most reactions

Back