strobes or background

jutowa123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STROBES!!!!!!

this year i am able to get some photo gear for x-mas, i am going back and forth between background stands and paper (as i already have some constant on lights), or some cheap strobes. before any pros glare at the words "cheap strobes" i have NEVER shot with strobes, and actually dont like using flash, but i want/need to learn. so which is a better investment of a little extra money, strobes? or background kit?

i have found a couple of strobe kits that fit my budget and have slave cells built in--- will a ring flash fire these?

strobes.
photography = drawing with light. learn lighting and you'll be a master of your skill.
strobist is first source. Digital ProTalk is another great site i enjoy reading.
good luck and again LIGHTING LIGHTING LIGHTING

Shutterbug: Studio In A Small Space

This article discusses the Flashpoint monolights and setting up a small,simple studio in a small area, for a low budget. The strobes of choice? $99 Flashpoint 320 monolights. Hard to go wrong with a 150 watt-second strobe for under a hundred bucks.

Seamless paper is nice to work with, provided you have a good,solid hard floor on which to roll it out, like a garage floor, hardwood floor, or vinyl flooring. Don't overpay for background stands and a crossbar.

The Savage background kit is priced right. The Impact two-monolight kit is also priced right, and is one of the kits recommended by a photo dealer whom I know personally, and who is concerned with customer satisfaction--he stocks that same Impact kit. It's priced right too.

I know a lot of people in the Stobist movement suggest umbrella mounts and speedlights, but the lack of modeling lights is a real problem for many beginners. The Impact kit would be a good choice.

but the lack of modeling lights is a real problem for many beginners
Is there a way to FRAME that statement and TELL IT TO EVERYONE who's buying an SLR and wants to become portrait/wedding photographer? :)

thank you for the help. i will go with the impact kit. are there any accessories i might need to get as well? i use a canon digital rebel so i have no pc connector. do i need to get some hot shoe pc connector type apparatus? any "cheap" or "entry level" radio/wireless options to recommend? im a kid of the new age, wires are lame :)

I can second the Savage background kit. I have had that kit for a couple of years now and have had no problems.

Most reactions

Back