Strobes + SpeedLights w D810

why aren't we just putting the Speedlights in SU-4 mode?

After suggesting that in my first post,I realized that it's just not complicated enough.

So ... in SU4 mode the SB700's will recognize that the main strobes just went off and that means they also need to fire as well. DO I have that right? I basically want one single big flash essentially all at once.

What I'm really worried about is the subject reacting to the flash, and eyes start to close, etc.

That's how I fire my speedlights (including an SB700) when mixed with strobes.

I typically just use one radio trigger on either a speedlight or strobe and put the rest in slave mode.

I only add more radio triggers if the positioning means they can't be optically triggered.

I do realize this isn't complicated enough, so your results may vary :p

So ... in SU4 mode the SB700's will recognize that the main strobes just went off and that means they also need to fire as well. DO I have that right? I basically want one single big flash essentially all at once.

Yes. SU-4 is Nikons built in optical slave mode.
They won't have the distance range that a set of Pocket Wizards will,but they're very reliable.

That's how I fire my speedlights (including an SB700) when mixed with strobes.

I typically just use one radio trigger on either a speedlight or strobe and put the rest in slave mode.

I only add more radio triggers if the positioning means they can't be optically triggered.

I do realize this isn't complicated enough, so your results may vary :p

Yes. SU-4 is Nikons built in optical slave mode.
They won't have the distance range that a set of Pocket Wizards will,but they're very reliable.

Well okay then! ... I think I'll try this first ...I'm all for not buying more stuff. I'm already under indentured servitude as it is, after buying that D810 ... holy smokes. :eek-73:

Thanks everyone for the help !!!

What I'm really worried about is the subject reacting to the flash, and eyes start to close, etc.

Yes. That is what SU-4 is. SU-4 was originally an external optical slave unit, but now it is built into many Nikon flash models.

Your main strobes all have optical slave triggers in them, and I assume you only trigger one of them, and the others follow when they see the first flash. It simply just works.

Nikon SU-4 mode is the exact same thing, an optical slave trigger, a very excellent one, actually with additional features (for film TTL), and greater sensitivity than about any others.

Changing subject, but the Nikon Commander is faulted for being line of sight, light only goes in straight lines and can be blocked, so the flash has be where it can see the commander.

SU-4 is also optical, but the difference is, Commander uses a very weak (minimum weak) flash signal to communicate with the remotes, but optical slaves are triggered by the full working power of the other flashes. Which are usually multiple, and not on the camera, and one of them will do it. :)

So, Nikon SU-4 is virtually fail safe in any reasonable indoor studio. I am speaking of living rooms, but wherever you put it, however you aim it, some reflected light will reach it, and it will trigger.

Your main strobes all have optical slave triggers in them, and I assume you only trigger one of them, and the others follow when they see the first flash. It simply just works.

.[/QUOTE]

His main strobes are a Speedotron pack and head system.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back