Strobist...............

chito beach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chitobeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it only me or do some people not get the idea and priactice of being Strobist. If you are dragging studio flashes out into the field and calling them strobist shots, thats not how it works. Here is a definition:

1.strobisthttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=strobist#
1. A person who habitually uses small, hot-shoe mountable electronic flashguns (or speedilights), off-camera to enhance the lighting quality of his or her photos. The off-camera flashgun is triggered by the camera using a sync cable or a wireless switch.

2a. More generally anyone who attempts to generate professional quality photographs by using portable, lightweight and (relatively) inexpensive lighting equipment, creatively.

Dragging Alienbees or other studio flashes and expensive battery packs out into the field are not considered strobist. I see guys posting up Studio gear shots on the strobist threads all the time, I try to ignore it but it just kind of erks me I guess. Am I the only one it bothers? Rant off

While they may technically not be strobist shots, they still use most of the same techniques, so I'm still glad that they were posted. Getting off camera lighting right really has little to do with the gear being used. However the shots were achieved, people can learn from the technique.

While they may technically not be strobist shots, they still use most of the same techniques, so I'm still glad that they were posted. Getting off camera lighting right really has little to do with the gear being used. However the shots were achieved, people can learn from the technique.

It is much harder to get professional shots with small flashes than studio strobes or monolights so yes there is a MAJOR difference. People can learn from light placement but that is all.

There were a lot of us doing "strobist" shooting back in the 80's... before it became such a fad, and got a cute name.

Personally.. I think a strobe is a strobe (monolights included) and light placement, diffuser use and and setup is what counts.. and if that is shared... everyone can learn from it.

This is almost funny... used to be those that had full studio setups were a bit snobbish and elitist.. now it is the other way around? lol! :)

It is much harder to get professional shots with small flashes than studio strobes or monolights so yes there is a MAJOR difference.

You're entitled to that opinion, but I disagree like 98%.

There are certainly shots that you can get with studio strobes that you can't get from speedlights, but they are few and far between, especially in the threads you're talking about.

People can learn from light placement but that is all.

So light modifiers, power ratios, balance against ambient, reflectors... all irrelevant if the light doesn't have a hotshoe on it?

Sometimes the power output of a studio light is relevant, sometimes the shot is easier when you have a modelling light. Most of the time, it's the EXACT SAME knowledge and technique.

Don't sweat the small stuff, man. It's all good if it's OCF.

If Alien Bee or any other came out with a strobe that was lighter in weight than a normal flash and had some awesome power output greater than a standard flash and I used it , would I be considered a strobist?
-
I see it as what I define as lightweight gear to the field, what a 5' 100# female carries is alot different than what a man can carry. Basically just pack light and enjoy the shoot.
-
Like someone mentioned don't sweat the small stuff, shoot well, Joe

If Alien Bee or any other came out with a strobe that was lighter in weight than a normal flash and had some awesome power output greater than a standard flash and I used it , would I be considered a strobist?
-
I see it as what I define as lightweight gear to the field, what a 5' 100# female carries is alot different than what a man can carry. Basically just pack light and enjoy the shoot.
-
IF you have to equate the weight as difference between a man or woman then its not lightweight............... period. If it needs to be powered by a wall outlet/extension cord or power inverter to bring up battery power to 110V or 220V to operate in the field then its not strobist gear, it is studio gear.

Very interesting thread and debate.

As a student I've been using strobes/umbrellas/pocket wizards, but my 1st real light will be here tomorrow (and sine wave generator arrived Friday). So I guess I'm no longer part of the "in" strobist crowd
iconstirthepot.gif

Don't sweat the small stuff, man. It's all good if it's OCF.

When Hobby, McNnalley, or any of the other Pro strobists agree with you, I will too. LOL

-
-
IF you have to equate the weight as difference between a man or woman then its not lightweight............... period. If it needs to be powered by a wall outlet/extension cord or power inverter to bring up battery power to 110V or 220V to operate in the field then its not strobist gear, it is studio gear.

Psssst, Hobby uses Profoto lights in the field. Might not want to tell anyone. He might be excommunicated from the Chuch of Strobist Latter Day Saints.

And Strobist was a word that he made up.

Oh, and McNally, Jarvis, Arias, Giannatti, and other photographers that have shot with, have taught with, and have been featured on Strobist don't all use small hot shoe flashes all the time. I'd say just get over it or else you're going to be "erked" for a very long time.

When Hobby, McNnalley, or any of the other Pro strobists agree with you, I will too. LOL

So all of your opinions are based on other peoples opinions?

no based on the definition in the dictionary as I posted in the first post in the thread. Those pros just understand and teach Strobist style.

Err, what dictionary? Was the definition that Hobby made up for it? AFAIK, the Urban Dictionary isn't something that I'd cite as a reference. That's probably why you didn't cite it.

Strobist Blog said:
This website is about one thing: Learning how to use off-camera flash with your DSLR to take your photos to the next level. Or the next ten levels.

If you are a complete beginner at lighting, no worries. The Lighting 101 course starts from the very beginning, and can get you up and running fast. (And if you have never shot with your flash off of your camera, get ready to have some fun.)

You probably already have most of what you need to start creating kickass photos with your own small flash, and all of the information on this site is free. If you want to grow into more powerful lighting equipment later, fine. We talk about the big lights, too. But your small flashes are the perfect starting point -- small, simple and cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back