Stuck between Snow and a Hard Place

billy_the_kid43

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dog showed me where this little creature was and I had to run in the house and grab the camera. It was so frieghtened that it tensed up every time the shutter was released. My dog happens to be the mouser of the house but since this one was such a good sport letting me take it's picture I let it get away without a scratch from the dog.

The first seems to be the best of the two but the snow seems a little blown out. However, I can't figure out how to get it less blown out without making the rest of the pic too dark.

StuckSM.jpg

The second seemed too dark to me but the snow was just right.

Stuck2SM.jpg

I'm not sure how to get my pics to not blowout with the snow and not be too dark. Here are the stats for the two pics.

Nikon D90
18-55 VR

1. f/5.6, 1/500, 55mm

2. f/11, 1/320, 55mm

BTW, these are my first posts for C&C and though I am not a complete noob to photography, I am new to DSLR work relearning many things. Please be as critical as necessary to help me learn. Thank you.

Last edited:
i think i agree, the second is better. all you can really do is get an acceptable, limiting exposure off of the bright snow; then later dodge the underexposed elements of the frame you are interested in. it's an arbitrary decision.

How about the brighter lighting of the first with the less "blown out" snow of the second?

Stuck3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back