Stuck in "snapshot" mode...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dancingsphinx22, Feb 18, 2010.

1. dancingsphinx22

dancingsphinx22 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am, I really am. :grumpy:

All right, I've decided to try that 365 day challenge and, well, today's the first day. What a great day to be lacking artistic inspiration. So, the following pictures are of my one addiction - Lip Gloss and Lip Stick. Sorry gentlemen.

My Composition - I was going for haphazard.
    The Lighting - Was poor. Incandescent sink-fixture bulbs. (I know I need to improve there.)
    The Look - I intended for the "Lip Smackers" tube to be prominent and in focus, however, I also wanted to capture the colors and contrast of the other tubes.

I edited in GIMP (been doing the reading.) I basically layered the 2 images, adjusted the levels/histogram, used burn/dodge and unsharp mask.

These are the two I combined:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the final edit:
    [​IMG]

So my question's are:
    1. Is there anything I could've done, or could do, to make this look less "snapshot" like and more intentional?

2. Like I aaid before, I wanted the "Lip Smackers" tube to be the main focus. But I couldn't quite find a way to "spotlight" it without losing the colors from the other tubes? Perhaps blurring?

2. erichards

erichards TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There really is just way to much stuff in the picture. The lip smacker part of the tube is the only thing in focus so that was achieved. However, the light is too specular (direct) diffuse it and then you should have less glare 'crossing out' what you want to be showing. If you do want it to stand out more use different contrasting colors around your subject as opposed to all the same color. Also, the pice tag is the only place where my eye can relax in the second iteration and the smudging in the final doesn't work with anything else in the picture.
    Over all though the picture doesn't do anything for me at all.
    Good luck on your 365 project. You'll get better as you go.

3. dancingsphinx22

Photos OK to edit
    ok - So diffused light for less glare, and different colors to "spotlight" subject.

About the price tag, my original thought was to crop it out, but it made the rest of the picture look off balance. I swirled to make it look like lipgloss I've actually seen before, but I guess that didn't fly. :lol:

I'm sorry if I hurt your eyeballs. Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:

4. Mulewings~

Mulewings~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are many 365 Projects out there, and I don't think that the project was intended to have absolutely perfect photos each day.

Here is an article on the 365 Project.

5. dancingsphinx22

Photos OK to edit
    Mulewings - Oh I know that, haha, I'd probably go insane just trying to get one perfect shot!! Never mind one perfect shot each day.

This (above) was only the second photo I've ever uploaded for C&C, and I was testing out my newly aquired skills GIMP skills. I still have much to learn.

Thanks for the link, by the way. =)

6. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I just happen to post perfect photos each day for my project :meh:

:lmao: Maybe not.

I'll add that you should be careful of using the direct flash on reflective items, you'll get many glares.

7. bahandi

bahandi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would have bunched all the other stuff together, placed the lip smackers up front a bit, throw the aperture wide open, then shoot.

Was this taken hand-held? I tend to set my camera on my cheap tripod or right on the ground for "product shots". Mind you, I only experiment with my photos as well.

8. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Dont use the flash on the camera, that killed these shots.

2. Just try some different placements. You could put the smackers up front, zoom on it, and it would blur the rest.

9. K.Li

K.Li TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    less is more

visualize what you want before you press the shutter.