Student Photojournalist

benstewart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Somewhat of a newcomer to the field of photojournalism here - taking "Advanced Photojournalisn" next semester, a title probably not as intimidating as it sounds.

Anyhow, I won't tell you what kind of camera I have at the moment, as I want completely objective opinions.

I should be taking plenty of photos - volunteering for two small newspapers in addition to a Studio Photography class. These classes will require everything from feature photos to portraits and sports shots - bear in mind that I live in Minnesota, where the climate nor weather are particularly friendly.

I work at a camera store, so I know some of my SLRs. The problem is that I sell mostly cheap compact cameras, so that is what I am required to know - my city isn't exactly a photographer's haven, so I rarely get to discuss them with someone who understands the need for an SLR.

What I need is an objective opinion based on the above criteria, along with the following:

Budget: 800-1000 dollars or lower, keeping in mind that I get 15 percent off everything listed here: http://www.ritzcamera.com/slr-digit...tal-cameras-and-accessories;cidigital-cameras
Decent body, preferably lighter weight. I would prefer Canon, as I have a couple of their lenses and would rather not get more.

I would say a canon, body only, don't mess with the kit lenses. Lighter weight would be the XT or XTi. The bodies work, they are plastic and small. The 20d and 30d have nice magnuesium alloy bodies, but are more expensive, and not light weight. It's not like the XT or XTi will fall apart or anything, they just can't take as much of a beating.

Most reactions

Back