Studio Backgrounds?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the process of cleaning out my garage (big task - almost done) and want to set up camp. I'm thinking about either getting a background support system and using paper or building a curtain rod hand hanging fabric.

For professional portraits, I'm curious what the standard is? What do people like more, what's everyone using? What are the draw backs or benefits of either?

Thanks!!

I don't think there is a standard...different people do things differently. Use what works for you.

I don't think there is a standard...different people do things differently. Use what works for you.

Thanks for the reply Mike. As I'm just starting out, would you recommend any particular colors? Which color, for headshots and portraits, do you think I'd get more mileage out of? White? Black? Gray? I guess I could get all three colors. Not sure.

Here's a tip for you. You can take just about any backdrop and make it looks black or white. It just depends how you light it and how you set your exposure.

Also, you can use 'color gels' to change the color.

Personally, I'd go with something grey.

Personally, I'd go with something grey.
+1

Mike makes an excellent point about gels as well. Not sure if you are using off camera flash units or studio strobes, but they make (or you can cut to size from a sheet) gels for each.

Most reactions

Back