Studio Bulbs

pricelessimage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a set of strobes and also a set of continuous lighting. I can't decide. I don't like the strobes because my studio is small and my subjects end of blinking so much thinking the lights are so bright. I love that with continuous lighting, I can see what I am getting. The trouble is, my bulbs are bright daylight, I am not sure 5500 or 6500K, but bright and so cool, they are blue. It gives subjects with yellow/blond hair a green hue. It makes skin look so blue. I want to try 4100K bulbs, but they are expensive, so wanted to know your thoughts before I purchase them. I read some of the responses on this forum and thought everyone was very patient and kind. Thank you for that. It's tough to learn within a budget. I am also shooting with my SB600 flash pointed straight up to a white ceiling, bouncing the light off of that. Any thoughts other than that to get the flash off the camera within a small area? Thanks.

Are you mixing the lighting (sb600 + constant)? If not, and you use the constants without any other lighting, just adjust the white balance (as a custom) or in post (shooting raw).

Yes, I was mixing the lighting. I did adjust the white balance, but still was just not getting what I needed. It seemed it was either blue or going to pink. I know that most people do not have the flash on the camera in the studio, but I'm just not able to get enough light for some reason without getting ISO noise. I have a hair light, and a light in front. I also have some lights from menards in my ceiling that help. Those are daylight, but do not look blue, so I believe they are the cool light, but not over 5500K. Probably in the 4100K range. That is why I was wondering if I should just go to all 4100K. I could probably set up my flash with an umbrella? Thanks for your help.

With continuous lighting, you don't have enough light for portraiture. Just use the strobes.

If your subjects are blinking, check the power on the strobes, it could be higher than you need.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back